HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read
HardwareZonePH on Facebook

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

Old 26-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #76
olibroccoli

Smile WD Black˛ Benchmarks

The Test Drives

Solid State Drives (SSDs)
WD Black˛: 120GB, SATA III
OCZ Vertex 4: 512GB, SATA III

Hard Disk Drives (HDDs)
WD Black˛: 1TB, 5400RPM
HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies): 1TB, 7200RPM
There are TONS of benchmarking tools for digital storage that I can give but I only need few to bench each unique storage test. I'll try to concise everything and not bloat this review with the same test over and over again on a different tool.

WD Black˛ Side by Side Analysis. WD Black˛ matched the OCZ Vertex 4 boot speed. HGST came third ahead of Black˛ HDD. WD SSD passed the SSD boot up standards and a 162% boot time advantage over a mechanical HGST HDD and see the significant disadvantage if you're still using a 5400RPM drive

WD Black˛ Side by Side Analysis

1. Sequential Read Speeds
-- vs OCZV4. Slightly lower, but STILL acceptable
-- vs 7200RPM. More than 2x faster
-- vs 5400RPM. It's 74% faster reading and loading huge blocks of data (i.e. huge multimedia files). If there's any factor that makes an SSD a great upgrade, it's the read speed ─ well, at least for me

2. Sequential Write Speeds
-- vs OCZV4. Fell huge about more than 3x slower
-- vs 7200RPM. Not much difference; not a good sign for an SSD
-- vs 5400RPM. 7% faster; not a good sign for an SSD

3. Random Read Speeds
-- vs OCZV4. Quite slower; still on typical SSD speed
-- vs 7200RPM. *NEXT, please..*
-- vs 5400RPM. 99% better; significantly faster load and read speeds on small blocks of data. It's the factor that gives the "snappiness" in a system

4. Random Write Speeds
-- vs OCZV4. More than 2x slower
-- vs 7200RPM. Body bag, still
-- vs 5400RPM. 99% better; significantly faster in writing small blocks of data (log files, etc.)

-- vs OCZV4. On paper, it's slightly slower. You won't even feel any real-world difference
-- vs 7200RPM. 21x faster NAND flash vs magnetic platters
-- vs 5400RPM. Ridiculously 2,741% faster. Say NO to request and completion latencies.

-- vs OCZV4. Lost by almost 2x of its score; still acceptable for a standard SSD score
-- vs 7200RPM. 33x better on all counts
-- vs 5400RPM. 95% higher. Totally dominated the overall digital storage performance aspects

Last edited by olibroccoli; 02-08-2014 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Proofread
olibroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #77
olibroccoli

Smile WD Black˛ Gaming X-perience

1. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
-- vs OCZV4. Slower
-- vs 7200RPM. Slightly edged out
-- vs 5400RPM. Edged out by a good margin

2. Crysis 3
-- vs OCZV4. Slightly slower
-- vs 7200RPM. Evenly matched
-- vs 5400RPM. Edged out by a good margin

1. Crysis 3 (Stress)
-- vs OCZV4. Evenly matched
-- vs 7200RPM. Significantly cooler by a huge margin
-- vs 5400RPM. Significantly cooler by a huge margin

2. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (Stress)
-- vs 7200RPM. Significantly cooler by a good margin
-- vs 5400RPM. Significantly cooler by a good margin

1. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
-- vs 5400RPM. Evenly matched

2. Crysis 3
-- vs 5400RPM. Evenly matched

Last edited by olibroccoli; 02-08-2014 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Proofread
Old 26-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #78
olibroccoli

Smile WD Black˛ Conclusion: Pros × Cons × Recommendations

Pros
- Compact dual drive
- Offers 1.1TB total capacity
- 5 Years Warranty

Cons
- No RAID support
- Sky-high SRP

Sky-High SRP. Regular SSDs are not new anymore. For this level of pricing, a power user might not even get lured by the regular SSD speeds, WDB2 has to offer. He would rather cash out for a newer generation of faster SSDs like M.2.

Recommendations
- Improve SSD write speed
- Re-evaluate SRP

The way I see it, overall, the WD Black˛ was released too soon in the market. The idea of having two physical drives is really revolutionary, although, the number of limitations (software/hardware-related) it has is not quite good indicator for a good digital storage.

Apparently, the SRP is the major factor that steers the fate of this revolutionary product. I believe, the only way it would survive the market is to either, fix issues its list of issues and live up to its price or the other way around.

Acknowledgement

Again, I would like to express my deep gratitude to HardwareZone.PH and Western Digital PH for this great opportunity. This is my first participation in a contest and I'm very honored to share my knowledge and experience on a different level. Hope you found something useful in my entry. Thank you! >; {D

- olibroccoli

Last edited by olibroccoli; 02-08-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Old 28-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #79
littlelion

Smile Thank you!

Thank you for your feedback testers! We'll be evaluating your responses and announce the winner some time this week. Do regularly check your PM boxes as we may send you updates.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #80
littlelion

Smile Our Conclusion and the Winner

In more than two weeks of communicating and working with these five great gentlemen, we can say that our experience was very beneficial. The WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! was launched, not only to sing praises to the WD Black2 Dual Drive, but also to evaluate the product in a constructive fashion, a useful approach in product development. By means of this campaign, we were able to share the WD Black2 Dual Drive with real individuals who are capable of maximizing the usage of the product. Each tester is unique because of their different backgrounds and their uniqueness helped in shaping the entire flow of the user trials. Another factor that made this user trials sensible is the varying parameters and test setups that were used by our testers. At first, we were expecting that these guys would generate similar observations and testing procedures, but they failed us in a positive manner.

We believe that each tester was able to showcase their strengths during the user trials, which include writing skills, honest analysis, detailed physical observation, good photography, and data presentation. Besides these, we also appreciate the additional efforts that were exerted, those approaches that went beyond our expectations, manifesting the desire to win this competition. Some even went to great lengths by making videos, using other software applications and testing tools in addition to what we provided, and publishing their observations in a well-timed manner. Do note that the benchmarking process was one of the bloodiest sections of the competition as it required a lot of time and patience in order for the testers to produce a sensible conclusion.

In general, the five gentlemen whom we have chosen are already considered winners. They will keep their WD Black2 Dual Drive units. Whatever will be the future of these units will entirely depend on their decision. However, per our announcement in the beginning of the campaign, we have to choose one of them, the person who will be considered the winner of the winners. After a thorough evaluation, we decided to declare Limbert Pascual Sanoy a.k.a. ferta_32 the top winner of the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! He will take home the entire set of prizes that we posted. Congratulations!

Once again, we would like to send our heartfelt thanks, not only to the five testers (Timothy Co a.k.a., Lorenzo James De Guzman a.k.a. Mudkip101, Limbert Sanoy a.k.a. ferta_32, Lloyd Lester Partoza a.k.a. neesnu, and Oliver Santos a.k.a. olibrocolli) whom we chose, but also to all participants of the user trials during the screening process. Thank you and we are looking forward to your support in our future campaigns.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #81
ferta_32

WD Black˛ Review Closure

Thank you very much Hardwarezone Philippines and Western Digital Philippines for making me a part of this competition. This is my first time in computer hardware testing and what a blessing it is for me to do review such expensive and unique hardware. It is an honor to be one of the five testers in the whole country.

I commend the event organizers for recognizing the strengths of the testers. I myself have been into different computer shops just to finish specific parts of my review on time due to power loss and internet connection loss. Many times of sleepless nights were endured in accordance to the review timeline. To my fellow testers, congratulations to us for we now officially own the test hardware.

Thank you for the WD Black˛ Dual Drive and thank you for the prizes. God bless us. Hoping for more review items to come.
ferta_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #82
Mudkip101

Congrats ferta_32! Great job on the awesome review!!
Mudkip101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #83
olibroccoli

Congrats ferta_32! Great job on the cool review!!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #84
neesnu

grats ferta_32 !
neesnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #85
timlyco

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Congratulations ferta_32! Good review!
timlyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #86
ferta_32

Winners

Thank you sir Mudkip101, sir olibrocolli, sir neesnu, and sir timlyco. Congratulations to us for officially owning the WD Black˛ Dual Drive.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #87
butitoy

COngrats Guys!

Congratulation Sir ferta_32!

Congrats guys and thank you very much for the very in depth WD Black2 experience and review posts.

thank you Admins!

Last edited by butitoy; 11-08-2014 at 10:34 AM..
butitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #88
littlelion

Smile Winner!

Limbert Sanoy a.k.a. ferta_32 picked his set of prizes this morning, consisting of a Samsung SD390 LED monitor, Palit GeForce GTX 750 graphics card, SteelSeries Sensei gaming mouse, and a Bloody Onslaught gaming mousepad. He is the winner of the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! contest. Congratulations!
Old 13-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #89
ferta_32

Prizes

Thank you very much once again Hardwarezone Philippines and Western Digital Philippines for the Prizes!
Old 20-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #90
remi2207

Congratulations ferta_32! Good review! I want it too!!!
How can i know there is a review activity?
remi2207 is offline   Reply With Quote