HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read
HardwareZonePH on Facebook

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

Old 24-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #16
Mudkip101

Lorenz de Guzman

Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

I want to join because I am a huge fan of WD with my WD 2TB USB3.0 Portable HDD and 1TB Caviar Blue HDD for my desktop (Desktop is only a month old) . I use them because of their great build quality, optimum performance and their awesome support for their customers! Having to test out the monstrous WD Black2 would be a hell of a fun ride for me with my games such as Watch Dogs, Dota 2, Thief, COD and lots lots more! I would never be ceased to be amazed by WD products!

Now for my technical background. I'm an Information Technology Graduate with a bunch of certifications from Microsoft and Oracle, currently employed at 1 of the leading IT companies in the world. Also the color "BLACK" is my thing .

What are the games that you play?

I play the simplest of games like Plants VS. Zombies, Mario, Minecraft Etc to the LATEST and PERFORMANCE DEMANDING GAMES such as Watch Dogs, Titan Fall, Thief, BF 4 and many many more that I could ever think off! This experience would give me a big boost to my system with these current specs.

specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Sniper B5
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: Saphhire R9 280x TOXIC
RAM: Ripjaws CL7 1600 2x4gb
Processor: Intel i5 4670
PSU: Seasonic 620W Bronze Full Modular
Chassis: Phantom 530 Black

Pics:
My Setup:

My 2TB Portable WD Drive USB 3.0
Mudkip101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #17
directorJay

Exclamation

I'm a creative pro, I mainly work with videos using programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects. In my line of work - speed, reliability and performance of hardware is a standard. I've been a user of Western Digital Drives from my first PC until now, with my current setup having 2 WD Black as storage drives, a 1TB and 2TB respectively, I also own a WD Digital Elements portable drive to move files with me on the go. All of my WD products, have never failed me, that's also a reason why their products are known for great quality and reliability, not to mention fast speed and optimum performance. I have never used a WD SSD though, just a few months ago they announced an SSD and I was excited! But it wasn't available in the Philippines at that time so I have to work with another brand. If this chance was given to me it would be a good way to test them not only in games but also with creative professional use; to assess their usability and reliability with the daily workload of a creative professional. Also it would be a pleasure if I could finally work on an "unboxing video" which I've been wishing to try for a long time )

And also I run a fairly capable system running with a 4770k CPU and Radeon 290x GPU, I'm an enthusiast of good quality hardware so this will fit nicely on my system and run unbiased benchmarks.

My Setup Video (before the addition of another hard drive)

I play games during my free time so despite being a creative pro, I'm also a gamer, well basically the hardware of my video editing PC are all gaming-grade enthusiast parts cost they tend to be more cost-effective when you're in a certain budget. I heard that the new WD Black2 is also tagged as an affordable dual-drive solution, so despite being a high capacity fast drive, it is still affordable.
I mainly play DotA2, Battlefield 4, the new Battlefield Hardline, Left 4 Dead 2, Hearthstone and a lot of different indie games. I also try mainstream popular games just for the sake of checking the visuals in the highest quality (Thief, Watchdog).
directorJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
neesnu

Talking

First of all, because this is something new. but upon reading a quick review regarding this new product, I got more excited!

SSD performance can degrade when total capacities are reached or after a finite number of writes have been reached, which is a major concern for SSD users. This dual drive is the solution to these problem, I can put my large amount of data on the HDD, and this will ultimately extend the life of my SSD.

When gaming, loading will never be a problem, faster boot times and smoother game play.

...and I'm planning to make a smaller rig, this will really help me save more space for my ITX build. no more 3.5" HDD! Yay!

What are the games that you (currently) play?

I'm currently playing Dota2, BattleField 3 and BattleField 4
..and randomly playing SniperElite and some old Call of Duty series.

Hey! I also use Photoshop and other multimedia softwares.. more space! more scratch disk

Thanks for the chance HardwareZone PH!
neesnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
akosivince

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

i want to Experience the power of WD Black2 first hand. i only heard stories about SSD's how fast booting OS, Games, other apps. It's hard to play when it takes several minutes far a game to start.. "nawawala yung excitement sa paglalaro".
and i think WD Black2 combined SSD and HDD is much better than having 2 separate drives.

2. What are the games that you play?

I play games like: World of Tank SEA, Call of Duty, Sniper Ghost Warrior and Racing Games
akosivince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
timlyco

Smile WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

I want to know just how fast a dual drive will be. I've been a fan of WD for a long time. I'm using their WD Black hard disk drive (1TB) and another External WD Hard Disk Drive (1TB, the one with an external plug). It's been with me for the longest time and there has not been an issue with these products. I know of the rise of the SSD's and the incredible increase in speed it can do for your computer setup, but with the prices, I just could not get myself to purchase any because I just don't want to settle for a low capacity SSD. Joining the user Trials will let me experience this beast of a Hard Drive that combines the speeds of SSD with the storage space of conventional Hard disk drives. I've wanted to get a new storage device for some time now and was thinking of saving up for a 512GB or 1TB SSD. If I join the WD Black2 User Trials, this maybe the HDD my rig needs.

I've been gaming since I was a kid. Games are what I look forward to. I believed games were what defined me as a person. Though I am not working in the gaming field, gaming influenced me to enter the creative design career.

I've played the original Doom and Duke Nukem games, The original Starcraft and Warcraft Games, Diablo I & II, C&C Red Alert Series, Command & Conquer Series, the whole Assassin's Creed Series, Hitman Series, Tomb Raider Series, Rainbow 6 Series, Need for Speed Series and many more.

The more recent games I've played are Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Diablo III, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Series, Metro Last Light, Crysis Series, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands, The Witcher I & II, Mass Effect series, Sleeping Dogs, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Full Burst, Simcity, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Dark Souls, Payday 2, Call of Duty Phantoms, Dota 2, Company of Heroes, Starcraft II, Deus Ex, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed Rivals and a lot more. haha

I'm also looking forward for these PC games:
Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, The Division, Rainbow 6 Siege, GTA V.

Additional Info: My Rig
Intel i7 3770 Processor (cooled by CM Seidon 120M)
ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene
GSKill Ripjaws 2 x 8gb RAM (total of 16gb)
Asus Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Video Card
WD Black (1tb HDD, then add WD Black2 haha )
HP W2207H Monitor

Last edited by timlyco; 27-06-2014 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Error in submission, got logged out and the content had a duplicate copy at the bottom.
timlyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
JEvidente

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

There was a reason I bought a WD Black 1Tb HDD 3 years ago. I wanted a storage solution that was not only very good and reliable but was built and designed more for gaming and other purposes that other HDDs can't provide effectively. As one of the game review contributors for Gaming Tribe, a global social media community "tweaked, modded, and over-clocked" exclusively for gamers and pc enthusiasts worldwide, a WD Black HDD was the only choice and a necessity for me. I continue to play games and submit reviews for 3 years now and my WD Black never ever failed me. When I heard of the new WD Black2, a dual drive storage solution with the "Black" on it and with an SSD, IS a no-brainer for me. It is high time for me to level up from my original WD Black and experience the benefits that the new WD Black2 especially its SSD can offer and provide. I want to try out that ultimate gaming experience, to have a faster, better and smoother gaming performance as I play and do my reviews.

I play a lot of games from Indie to mainstream games like Crysis, Dead Space, StarCraft Series, Diablo Series, WarCraft series, Medal of Honor, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows and so on. I play RTS, RPG, and FPS games generally but I am currently playing South Park: The Stick of Truth, BF3, BF4, Sniper Elite V2 and Watch Dogs. I just submitted a game review for both Sniper Elite V2 and Watch Dogs and waiting for my next game to review at the moment.
JEvidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #22
feb289

I would like to try the new WD Black2 because i would like to know how it would affect my experience running it on my rig and specially how it would improve the overall experience of gaming. This would be a great experience for me as using mechanical drives for gaming and to feel the difference in speed between the two. It would be great that if this can decrease the load times in games so less time is wasted. And since im a student in the field of technology it would really help that i could get to my work as fast as possible wasting little time that can be wasted and specially when creating and exporting rendered video files. Looking forward to try this in my Hackintosh, considering how fast it already boots lets see how will this drive make it faster

The games that i currently play are Dota 2, CS:GO, Watch_Dogs (faster drives would be beneficial here to decrease load times ), Saints Row IV, SC2, Hearthstone, BF3&4 and BF Hardline Beta.

Last edited by feb289; 27-06-2014 at 09:49 PM..
feb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #23
DjanFox

I would like to try the new WD Black2 because i would like to know how it would affect my experience running it on my rig and specially how it would improve the overall experience of gaming. This would be a great experience for me as using mechanical drives for gaming and to feel the difference in speed between the two.

The games that i currently play is CS:GO,
DjanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #24
olibroccoli

Smile WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

Seriously, I wanna know how fast it is.

Data Sucker. I like squeezing the last bit of information that I could gather out of anything (test case, experiment, figures and stats etc). I want to test how WD Black2 is going to perform and conclude any benefits that it can offer to any types of user -- inside and outside of gaming

Methodology. Everybody can conduct benchmarks but proper methodology and having a big bag of patience and another bag of experience is a different story

Storage Race. Eager to study and analyze where the newest generation of storage technology has taken the competition

About Me: I'm not a bachelor of any computer-related course. I'm just a passionate enthusiast who only has an online thread for gaming notebooks (300 pages and up) which keeps the cycle of information going. I love gaming but benchmarking & data gathering is my passion.

I am currently using a gaming notebook as my workhorse. Residing underneath is a 512GB Sata III SSD which needs a companion. My other bay is currently open for another test specimen (if lucky enough, lawls)

DoTA 2, Civilization V, DiRT, NBA 2K, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry, BioShock Series, Mass Effect Series, GTA Series, Classic (emu-based)
olibroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #25
Reanzer

I'm a gamer and media downloader. As such, my hard disk is almost full from everything I have a downloaded this year alone.

So far, I have only tried an external hard disk and the usual internal one, but never an ssd or a combination of the old and the new. I'm a budget gamer, so I'm using a standard I3, and internal video card. The problem that I get with this kind of setup is the loading time in between games(e.g. maps). I do know that FPS isn't really improved by SSDs but if I can increase loading times of my games and OS, with just increasing my storage, then that would really save me a lot in the long run.

Currently, I'm playing Dota2 most of the time. I have other games installed like BlackOps2 and Darksiders, but I also play casual games like CandyCrush.
Reanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
reenigne

“Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?”
For fun, and to finally meet the WD Black2. I have not tried an SSD yet, since WD Black is already enough with my gaming needs. But since it's WD I would love to try this baby!

Black will always look good.

“What are the games that you play?”
Batman-Arkham Origins, Crysis 3, BF3, BF4, Splinter Cell Blacklist
reenigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
butitoy

1.Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?
having shifted to FAST! WD Black 64MB Cache HDD, i am never been happier and will never look back< 2TB +2TB+4TB > but looking forward for this WD Black2 and i wanna know how fast really this baby is, as being advertised.

On what speed level can it offer compared to my existing WD Blacks when opening large photoshop files or compose or edit video in vegas + many adobe apps.

having WD Black sataIII is fast enough to satisfy my storage + speed needs and i always recommend it to my clients and fiends to buy whenever we assemble new PC, it's just plain very satisfactory over expense.

and having a marriage of SSD+WD Black is almost a dream.Now how about we do it in RAID 0 or perhaps RAID5?

2.What are the games that you play?
when schedule allows it, i'm a first person shooting gamer, i always play the BF and COD games from the oldest to the newest version with BF3|4 - COD4 MW1,2,3 | Ghost as favorites, while waiting for BF Hardline and COD Advance warfare as soon as it will be available.

also Medal of Honor Warfighter. i love this game.

ARMA series | sometimes sniper elite, ghost recon

also playing the Need for Speed racing games.

eyeing Metro2033 | TitanFall and WatchDog in coming days .

the oldie but addictive starcraft and Starcraft2

Last edited by butitoy; 02-07-2014 at 08:03 AM..
butitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #28
littlelion

Smile Extension of the Selection Process

Please be informed that we are extending the selection process until July 2, 2014. Additionally, we've already send the invitations (via PM) to the upcoming WD Black2 Seminar where we will announce the five testers. To those who have received our invitation, please respond. Thank you.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #29
spiderpig_666

“Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?”

Ever since I got my 1TB MyBook from WD, I have loved and respected their products. My HDD has been going strong for over 4 years and it still runs as smooth as ever. It has been a big part of my life because it has outlived my older computers and it has always kept my games, movies, music, pictures, and even school documents, safe and readily accessible. I would like to be part of the trials because I wanna be part of something big. It may not be much to otther people, but to me, the improvements that have happened to storage technology over the decades are astonishing and amazing. As an Applied Physics student, it amazes me even more when you have a deeper understanding of how the technology works.

“What are the games that you play?”

I am an avid Steam gamer and a hardcore gamer.
My daily playlist is:
DotA 2
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Killing Floor

The other games that I regularly play include but is not limited to:
Tomb Raider (2013)
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Saint's Row 3
The Wolf Among Us
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Dead Space 3

Last edited by spiderpig_666; 02-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Minor typographical errors
spiderpig_666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #30
dearjohnph

This is the best time for me to join such a promotional trial as I am currently involved in procuring equipment for a small office this mid-late July. Additionally, being in the digital marketing industry, one of my responsibilities is to share my experiences to the online community including tech reviews, which then makes this trial a lot helpful to improve my knowledge on Western Digital products.

Additionally, one of the main reasons why I am a good fit for this opportunity is because I am the "adviser" when people in my circle intends to buy gadgets. I swear being the family tech support guy sucks...

Dragon Age 2, Tropico 5, Fable 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Launch Sniper Elite V2, NBA 2k14, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, Shogun 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield and a lot more...
dearjohnph is offline   Reply With Quote