HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read
HardwareZonePH on Facebook

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #31
the_wisemen06

WD Black 2 user trials

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

I want to test out the performance of the WD black2 drives especially I am very common on the previous performances of the western digital brand. I have used before the 80gb version before the caviar series. and the last one I have bought is the 320gb caviar blue for my desktop. Also, I have bought a 1TB My passport essential usb3.0. Performance of the drives that I have brought from WD satisfies me always. So being able to test their latest addition to their family of drives especially in Games Like BF3, DOTA 2 and Left 4 dead 2. would really enthralled me especially if performance in loading and bandwidth increase that it would provide. As an Engineer I am a performance enthusiast.

2. What are the games that you play?

The games I play is Battlefield 3, Dota 2 and Left 4 dead 2.
the_wisemen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
ryujochi

Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

Because I'd like to know how much speed, capacity and efficiency WD Black2 Dual Drive gives. I also want to compare it to my, and the conventional, SSD + HDD combo to see what could be the pros and also the cons in using the product.

I'm a Computer Engineering graduate, PC enthusiast, and do know my way around computers. That is why I would also like to review this product and to share what I know and to explain them (in the best way i could ) in a review how this product would really perform in real life setup.

I would try my best to make an honest review.

What are the games that you play?

I'm currently playing:

Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Battlefield
Castle Crashers
Crysis 3
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Grid 2
WatchDogs
Dota 2
Team Fortress
League of Legends
NBA 2k14
The Witcher 2
Metro Last Light
Killing Floor
ryujochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #33
littlelion

We will accept entries until 11:59PM today. Thank you!
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
littlelion

Thank you for participating in the screening process of the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! To the participants who have confirmed attending the WD Black2 seminar tomorrow, we're looking forward to seeing you!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #35
littlelion

To those who have received our personal invitation to the seminar and who haven't replied, you may still confirm or decline today.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #36
griver_007

Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?
To be blunt I want to win it. I Am always fascinated by WD products ever since I bought their 2TB Passport and I want to own this one too, badly.

What are the games that you play?
The games that i currently play are Total War series and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series. The games that I'm going to play are Call of Duty: Advance Warfare series, Infamous, Titan Fall and Watch Dogs. If I may add, one of my reasons to join is because I'm going to upgrade my rig this month so it would be mutually beneficial to both parties if I will join the chosen ones.
griver_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #37
PowerPlay.caradise

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 user trials?

I want to experience gaming with a high quality SSD. I currently own an ASUS ROG gaming laptop and while it does the job quite well, I think this product can help me increase its performance.

2. What are the games that you play?

Dota 2 only
PowerPlay.caradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #38
butitoy

Winners.

Hello Sirs

who were among the list who won the Honor of reviewing | beta testing the WD Black2?
butitoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
directorJay

Sirs, whats the update on the list of people who gets to review the product?
directorJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #40
littlelion

Smile WD Black2 Dual Drive Technical Seminar

Thank you guys for attending the WD Black2 Dual Drive technical seminar last Friday. We'll be uploading more photos and present to you the testers.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #41
littlelion

Charlotte Koa, WD Philippines' Country Manager for Internal Hard Drives, shared more details on the capabilities and features of the WD Black2 Dual Drive during the technical seminar.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #42
littlelion

Smile Event Photos

Here are some of the sidelights at the WD Black2 technical seminar last Friday.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #43
littlelion

Smile WD Black2 User Trials Testers

One of the key portions of the WD Black2 technical seminar was the announcement of the testers for the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! They are:

Timothy Co (timlyco)

Lorenzo James De Guzman (Mudkip101)

Limbert Sanoy (ferta_32)

Lloyd Lester Partoza (neesnu)

Oliver Santos (olibrocolli)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #44
littlelion

Question Introduction, Initial Impressions, and Expectations

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win!

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #45
Mudkip101

Greetings fellow netizens! First and foremost, I would like to say my greatest thanks to Western Digital and Hardware Zone PH for giving me this opportunity to review this wonderful product of theirs and to my fellow reviewers a big congratulations to you all! Let me introduce myself before we go to the initial review. My name's Lorenzo James de Guzman AKA Mudkip101. I currently reside here in Bulacan. Graduate of Information Technology, a microsoft certified professional and an oracle certified associate. Currently working as a Database Administrator. As you may know, we DBAs maintain the huge storage of data of a company. I have some amount of experiences handling with these drives and the types of storage,backups and restores they could accomplish. But enough about that, let's talk about the WD Black˛, the world's first 2.5" SSD+HDD dual drive.

At first glimpse, the packaging was well made, eye-catching,detailed and yet still simple but elegant. The package has an image of a formula one racecar in it, as you slide the content of the box, you'll see the full image of the car racing at a blazing speed leaving a golden trail.

Front:

Back:

The full image of the F1 racecar:

Thumbs up to WD for the creativity!. I think the image is referring to WD Black˛'s Shift_Technology. I quote from WD Black2's website "WD Black˛ Shift_Technology is race-ready from the starting line with enhanced firmware and improved algorithms for faster performance and data management". SSD performance degrades when a finite number of writes have been reached or if the drive is almost/reached 100% capacity. WD now has a solution to these problems with their all new WD Black˛ Dual Drive.

You can move the larger files or write extensive files to the 1TB HDD while leaving only the system files and/or other softwares you want to be optimized in the SSD, increasing the lifetime and maintaining the optimum performance of the SSD.

The WD Black˛ Dual Drive package contents comes with the following.
  • WD Black˛ Dual Drive Unit
  • Quick Install Guide
  • Tech Support and Warranty Guide
  • SATA to USB Adapter Cable
  • USB Key (Maintaining the F1 inspired theme)

Package and the contents:

The adapter utilizes a USB 3.0 connection for data transfer, and a USB 2.0 connection to power the WD Black˛ during the cloning process. The unique USB "Key" takes us to the website of the WD Black˛ (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190) in which we can download the drive installation software as well as some really helpful tutorials on how to install the SSHD and how to clone an existing HDD to the WD Black˛. The key symbolizes the start of our engine that will leave our old mechanical harddrives to the dust. Once you go SSD, you can never go back. The WD Black˛ looks well built (Not to mention the 5 year warranty that comes with it), has a great design with a good color combination of black and gold and pretty compact as it is a 9.5mm model which should fit all SFF systems and the vast majority of laptops, though some slim laptops use 7mm drives.

WD Black˛:

Small note: Be sure to check out your laptop's drive measurements before buying this $300 Dual Drive.

My personal expectations to it is that it will be a bit slower than the traditional SSDs we have today but still faster than the HDDs. This is an ideal drive for laptops which only has a single drive bay. Let's hope for the best for WD Black˛

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win!

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.

Last edited by Mudkip101; 10-07-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Mudkip101 is offline   Reply With Quote