HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read
HardwareZonePH on Facebook

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #46
leiftesorio

Smile

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

I really want to improve the performance of my laptop. Having this would greatly improve performance plus an upgrade from my existing 500GB HHD. I have used WD external hard drives and it is really good experience to me and satisfy me always. So, having these WD Black 2 would greatly help in my photoshop, lightroom and autocad works. i am a heavy tasker. I can open 2 mozilla fox with 10 tabs, opening adobe lightroom and playing dota2. To be able to have this drive would be a great help to me.

2. What are the games that you play?

The games I play is Skyrim, Dota 2, Command and Conquer 4, and final fantasy.

Hope to have this one.....
leiftesorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #47
olibroccoli

Smile World's First

Size. The huge size of the box vs. the 2.5" size of the drive could really trigger you to think a lot of exciting things. How many goodies will you find inside. What accessories came along with it.

Color Scheme. I love the conservative two-color scheme (gold and black). They could choose to be flashy and use more than three colors but they didn’t. Gold makes up the premium quality feel and elegance of the product. Black signals serious masculinity

Box & Print Design. It includes a sliding & a cool magnetic flap box. Front box got the rear of a Formula One race car. Upon sliding the inner box, reveals the whole race car.

WD Black˛ Package Kit
- 2.5” WD Black˛ Dual Drive
- Quick Install Guide Booklet
- Technical Support and Warranty Information
- USB to SATA transfer cable
- USB web key. Links you to the driver and cloning software download

Quick Specs
- Capacity:120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
- Form Factor: 2.5"
- Interface: Serial ATA-600, 7 pin Serial ATA
- Drive Transfer Rate: 600 MBps
- Internal Data Rate: 350 MBps (read) / 140 MBps (write)
Aesthetics. I like the black, glossy smooth texture plate cover. You could also find some PCB traces as part of the design which kinda looks cool, too. Like a cyborg; half SSD, half HDD -- LOL

Standard 2.5” Design. Same sata connection interface. Even if it’s a combo of two physical drives, Western Digital was still able to manage to fit both, inside a 9mm housing. Notebook bays therefore, should be 9mm compliant.

Innovation. From the concept alone, the idea of having two physical drives forged in a single SATA, is another major step for digital storage tech. We are not just talking about merging basic storage disks here – we’re seriously dealing with performance-capacity combo drives (SSD & 1TB HDD)

One obvious drawback would be the no RAID option but I believe, it could be easily addressed in the future (software/firmware adjustments etc.). If they could come up with a "world's first" idea, finding a solution won't be a major problem.

Regardless, it's another great innovation which aims to save space and create a more compact yet powerful rig that can handle light to heavy work loads we throw on it.

Expectations

Performance. On paper, it should perform below average vs. drive speed standards of the SSD/5400RPM HDD single drive counter parts. We'll get to know more about what is the real score on this department, so better keep posted.

Price. The price might be quite expensive than expected. That's how most pricing trend goes especially with new technologies.

Market. I believe that there's a demand & definitely potential market for this niche. They should invest for a 7mm variant in the future to expand the demand for another group of consumers. They could also beef up the 120GB SSD capacity to 240GB, to make more room for some key programs/softwares.

Special shout outs to ferta_32, Mudkip101, neesnu, timlyco and of course, HardwareZone.PH & Western Digital.PH!

*Flies away on a dragon*

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win!

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.

Last edited by olibroccoli; 02-08-2014 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: font formattings
olibroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #48
neesnu

Hi Guys! First of all I would like to say thank you to Western Digital Philippines and HardwareZone Philippines for giving me a chance to test and experience the world's first 2.5-inch dual drive storage solution, WD Black˛ Dual Drive. ~ By the way I'm Lloyd, I'm a Computer Science graduate, a Gamer, and a Lover

Okay, going back with WD Black˛ Dual Drive, given the name Dual Drive, first thing that came to my mind is that 2 physical drive slap together, But in reality is an SSD and an HDD built into one small 2.5″ form factor.

PACKAGING :
WD Black˛ Dual Drive is packed in a premium looking packaging that ensures that safety of the drive inside, with a formula one race car design with a golden trail that indicates speed and power. I also liked the colors used on the box, Black and gold ..simple and elegant.

Front :

Back :

WHAT'S INSIDE?
Upon sliding the inner box, It reveals the whole race car design of the package, this box is much harder than the outer packaging and it has a magnetic flap that makes it easier to access what's inside the box.

Box inside slide out :

• Inside this premium looking box :
- WD Black˛ Dual Drive
- Small warranty guide
- A Quick Installation Guide,
- A Setup Thumb Drive which is actually just a shortcut for the URL where you’ll find the driver for the 1TB HDD (more about it later)
- A USB header that you could use to well, use the drive as an external storage device.

Inside :

Measurement :

EXPECTATIONS :

WD Black˛ Dual Drive

My personal expectation is that this drive will run slower than the dedicated SSD's we have today but knowing that this 120GB SSD is packed with a 1TB HDD built into one small 2.5″ form factor. That's a wow! ~ let's see how it performs on the following days.

Again, thank you HardwareZone PH and Western Digital PH.

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win!

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.
neesnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #49
ferta_32

Review Phase 1

littlelion wrote:

Pictures: Gallery Link

Here is the video I made for Phase 1 of the review.

Product Link: http://tinyurl.com/kkayea7

Additional Information:

SSD VS HDD. Courtesy of Techquickie
http://tinyurl.com/qfa3uo6

SSD VS HDD VS Seagate Hybrid SSHD. Courtesy of TheUgster
http://tinyurl.com/lk42qw9

Last edited by ferta_32; 14-07-2014 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Added Picture Gallery
ferta_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #50
timlyco

Cool Tim Co | WD Black2 User Trials

Good day everyone! I'm Timothy Co (timlyco). I'm a multimedia arts graduate of De La Salle - College of St. Benilde, creative director at www.reeco.com.ph.

I've been a gamer since I was a kid. Gaming has been a big part of my life. It is what pushed me to pursue my degree. One of the first games I remember playing was Battle Chess and Prince of Persia on a 486 PC. Those were the days when the big floppy disks were still a thing, PC's required ID cards to gain access and the internet wasn't even invented. Nowadays, PC games have become a lot more complex and demand a great deal on your PC. If you want to keep playing games, you have to keep updating your hardware.

I'm privileged to be part of the WD Black2 User Trials. Many thanks to HardwareZone Philippines and Western Digital Philippines for this honor.

I. Packaging
I currently own a WD Caviar Black hard disk drive. When I purchased it, it only came in an anti static plastic. This is how internal hard drives are usually packaged.

With the WD Black2,it is obvious that Western Digital wants to give you a product with a premium feel. A sleek black box with an F1 race car design and gold accents is what greets the user.

The black and gold color scheme of the box displays class and elegance. The F1 race car design obviously represents one thing, SPEED.

II. Unboxing

Sliding a second box out reveals the full F1 race car design. Opening the lid, you will find:
  • WD Black2 USB Key
  • WD Black2 Manual Quick Install Guide
  • WD Black2 Warranty Guide
  • WD Black2 Drive
  • USB to Sata Adapter

What intrigued me was the USB Key, the design really gives you a feeling that you are about to experience something great. That exciting feeling of driving a car for a first time or maybe riding a very thrilling roller coaster. This got me even more excited to start using the WD Black2 Drive.

III. On Paper Specification
On the specification side, I decided to put specifications relevant to the common user. You can check out the full specification here.

Specifications
  • 120 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) + 1 TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch
  • Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s

Performance (SSD)
  • Interface Speed: 6 Gb/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (read MAX): 350 MB/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (write, MAX): 140 MB/s

Physical Dimensions
  • Height: 0.374 inches (9.5 mm)
  • Depth: 3.95 Inches (100.3 mm)
  • Width: 2.75 Inches (69.85 mm)
  • Weight: 0.28 Pounds (0.125 kg)

Acoustics
  • Idle Mode: 20 dBA (average)
  • Seek Mode 0: 21 dBA (average)

IV. Initial Impression
Out of the box, the WD Black2 is a premium item. It is elegant and classy but also a performer.

On paper, this drive is exactly as marketed. It is good for the creative pro and his on the go lifestyle. Its 2.5-inch form factor makes it a good laptop drive where the creative can put his core applications on the solid state drive(SSD), and all his media works on the hard disk drive(HDD). It is also good for gamers who want to have their games on the SSD to reduce load times and improve gaming performance without sacrificing storage space.

Being both their target market, creative and gamer, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far. I'm looking forward to installing it to my rig and actually using it. Can't wait to see how this premium drive performs.

Stay tuned for more updates on the drive! You can follow my review as it is completed here: Tim Co's WD Black2 Review.
timlyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #51
littlelion

Question Test Setup

Hello testers! In order for you to test and experience the performance of the WD Black2 dual drive, you'll need a test system which could be either a desktop PC or a notebook. Show us your test system and explain why do you think your hardware platform is ideal for testing the WD Black2 dual drive.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #52
ferta_32

WD Black˛ Review Part 2

Show us your test system and explain why do you think your hardware platform is ideal for testing the WD Black2 dual drive.

Phase 2 of the review.

The Desktop

Test Desktop Specifications: BLUE FROST RIG Link

The Laptop

Test Laptop Specifications: TOSHIBA P775-S7215 Link

Pictures: Gallery Link

Video Review

All music used coypright of Urbandub.

Last edited by ferta_32; 12-07-2014 at 07:02 PM..
ferta_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #53
Mudkip101

I have two systems that could test the WD Black˛, a laptop and a desktop. Both of which has an i5 processor and a pretty impressive GPU. However, I'll be using only one of these test systems to test the performance of the WD Black˛. I'll tell you which one I'll be choosing and why later on.

The Two Machines

Laptop

Specs for the Acer Aspire 4750g:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 2410M
  • Graphics Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
  • HDD: 640GB
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Display: 14.0 inch, 16:9, 1366x768 pixels

Desktop

Without side panel

With the side panel

Desktop Setup

Specs for the Desktop:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 4670 3.40GHz
  • GPU: R9 280x Toxic 3GB/384 bit
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Sniper B5
  • HDD: WD 1 TB Caviar Blue
  • RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL7
  • PSU: Seasonic (M12II) 620watts 80Plus Bronze
  • Chassis: Phantom 530 Black
I'll be choosing only one of these PCs as the performance of the SSD could degrade If I'll be using both of these PCs to test the WD Black˛. I want to squeeze out the most out of the WD Black˛, I really want to see the WD Black˛'s best and most optimum performance in the upcoming test review. With that, the best choice would be the desktop as it could reach out the maximum performance the WD Black˛ could give out. I'll also make use of the excellent SSD Tweaker from elpamsoft to disable Windows services such as Superfetch, Hibernation, System Restore and large system cache, in order to minimise their service's impact on drive performance. This is just to show to you guys the maximum benchmarks the WD Black˛ could attain, as I've said before. This dual drive is ideal for laptops with single drive bays.

The WD Black˛ with the Desktop's SSD Mount

WD Black˛ mounted and ready to race

The desktop is also made for the sole purpose of gaming. Can't wait to test the WD Black˛! Stay tuned!

Hello testers! In order for you to test and experience the performance of the WD Black2 dual drive, you'll need a test system which could be either a desktop PC or a notebook. Show us your test system and explain why do you think your hardware platform is ideal for testing the WD Black2 dual drive.

Last edited by Mudkip101; 15-07-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Mudkip101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #54
olibroccoli

Smile WD Black˛ Test Setup

Modern High-End Setup. Productivity tools during weekdays. Creative graphics and video suite during weeknights. Battlefield/Crysis during weekends and any additional loads that you could possibly integrate in between. He's not your typical weensy choking machine. This badboy sure packs a lot of punch and absolutely no pushover. It can handle most games ─ from A to Z ─ old to modern titles ─ in serious details ─ in full 1080p glory. Ironhide is NOT a toy. It's my bread and butter; a reliable workhorse.

MSI GT60 Dominator Tech Specs
- System: Windows 7 Ultimate, x64
- LCD: 15.6" Full HD, 1920x1080
- CPU: Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4800MQ
- GPU 2x
--- nVIDIA® GTX 870M, 3GB GDDR5
--- Intel® HD Graphics 4600
- RAM: 8GB DDR3L, 1600MHz
- HDD: Dual Bays, SATA III

Last edited by olibroccoli; 02-08-2014 at 05:59 PM..
olibroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #55
timlyco

Cool Tim Co | WD BLack2 User Trials: Test Rig

V. The Test Rig

Here is the specification of my test rig.
  • Processor: Intel i7-3770k 3.4Ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR3 1600
  • Video Card: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB 192-bit
  • Original HDD:WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • PSU: Silverstone ST56F 560W
  • Case: CM Storm Scout 2

This is my personal rig at home. Why is this system ideal for testing the WD Black2 Drive? Because this system was built with work and play in mind.

I use it for my work to create works in Photoshop and Illustrator. I use it to create web design studies in Adobe Dreamweaver and Sublime Text. Of all my design programs, I believe Premiere and After Effects are the most demanding programs. These programs are used to render videos and add special effects to them.

Of course, with the spec sheet, this rig wasn't just designed for graphic arts. It was mainly built to play the latest and most demanding of games on high to ultra settings.

What better drive to compare the WD Black 2 than to WD's own WD Caviar Black. This was my original hard drive since I built it and I believe the WD Black 2 a great upgrade for this Rig. I have installed windows OS's on both drives and will boot them separately to test their differences.

It's a good thing I invested on a good case. This case has a slide in drive bay for both the WD Caviar Black and the WD Black 2. The case was chosen with the thought of adding new drives or maybe SLI the video card.

The WD Black 2 fit seamlessly.

I'm now looking forward to seeing the difference. Stay tuned for more of my review. You can also follow my review on this link Tim Co Eperiences the Power of 2.
timlyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #56
littlelion

It seems that your content failed to post. Can you check?

Here's my setup
Old 15-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #57
neesnu

TEST SETUP :

Hi Guys! I'm back again with my Rig, this is where I do everything when I'm home, and this will also be my test setup for the WD Black˛ Dual Drive.

My Rig/Test Setup

SPECIFICATION :

Here's the specification of my test setup.

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 4 x 4GB DDR3 1866
SSD: 90GB Kingston HyperX 3k
HDD: Seagate 1TB Baraccuda 7200 HDD
PSU: InWin Glacier 900w 80+ gold
Case: InWin GRone

No video card? Yup.. lol, still can't decide which one to buy.. red or green team + the fact that I need to save up for some important things.. but luckily I managed to borrow a Zotac GTX 750Ti OC that I can use to perform some gaming test

This platform is ideal because It has both SSD and HDD that I can compare side by side with the WD Black˛ Dual Drive for me to be able to see pro's and con's of this drive.

So much about that, let's get things started.. testing time! ..stay tuned guys!

neesnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #58
littlelion

Question Benchmark Results and Gaming Experience

Hello testers! We provided you with a suite of benchmark applications that you can use to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive. Can you show us the benchmark results that you got using the test setups that you presented? If you used additional benchmark applications, feel free to show their results too. Also, share with us your gaming experience using the WD Black2 Dual Drive.
Old 23-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #59
Mudkip101

User Trials: Benchmarks, Gaming experiences,Conclusions

Greetings ladies and gentlemen! The time has come for us to be able to test the performance, quality and speed of the WD Black˛. In the next couple of paragraphs, I’ll be showing you the true speed and performance the WD Black˛ which it was able to attain during the user trials. No bias and no edit of any kind. Just the pure and unadulterated truth. I’ll be sharing my experiences with the WD Black˛, both the negative and the positive sides. I’ll also show you why you should ditch your old mechanical hard drive with an SSD and how big of an upgrade an SSD would give to your personal computer but first let me present to you the pros and cons of an SSD and an HDD.

HDD vs. SSD

These are the basic things that you need to know about the HDD and the SSD. The reason why you should leave behind your HDD for an SSD is that the SSD would give a large boost to your system by up to 80-400%! Though it would cost A LOT of green to store all your files and games to the SSD. We recommend having the SSD as a boot drive for your system to fasten things up such as boot up times and system processes and store your big files or write extensive files to the HDD. Luckily for us, the WD Black˛ has incorporated BOTH of these 2 worlds into one single drive, making it the first 2.5” Dual Drive. It also comes with 5 years warranty from WD but for a hefty sum of Php 13,000 to Php 15,000, pretty expensive ei? Let’s see if the product is worth its price.

Benchmarks

I have managed to get the performance of these 2 wonderful drives (WD Black˛ and the WD 1TB Caviar Blue) by using the benchmarking softwares thoughtfully provided by Hardware Zone Phillippines. Thanks for that, now let’s get rolling!

PCMark 7 v1.4.0
PCMark 7 is a great tool to benchmark your powerhouse rig. However, in this review, I’ll only be using its System/Secondary Storage Suite to test these devices. It uses simulations of typical file access patterns of real-world programs to give an indication of how each drive will handle real-world applications.

As expected, you’ll see the SSD part of the WD Black˛ easily topping of the HDD drives. Look at that sexy score in starting applications with a whopping 52.35 MB/s, it DOMINATED the HDDs scores of 2.25 MB/s for the HDD part of the WD Black˛ and 4.13 MB/s for the WD Caviar Blue at about 10-20x the amount! Coming in second is the 1TB Caviar Blue and lastly the HDD of the WD Black˛. Not bad for a 5200 rpm HDD.

PCMark 8 v2.0.162.0

This benchmarking tool is similar to what the previous PCMark 7 does, it handles a host of real-world tasks that will be impacted by SSD performance, including importing pictures, editing video, running listening to music, booting applications, and even playing games. This tool is somehow more specific to what it is currently running and thus gives a more precise result.

Same outcome as with the last tool we used. You could clearly see how an SSD could give the upper hand in your day to day task. Easily topping off its HDD counterparts.

AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark

Both of these tools run each drive through a variety of tests. Their sequential read and write routines test the raw file-copying pace of each drive, while a variety of random read and write tests demonstrate how responsive the drive is to the more random use a drive is put through during day to day use – the ‘snappy’ feel of an SSD is all about its random read access performance.

CrystalDiskMark Results
AS SSD Results
As you can see on the above tables, the results are the same as the last 2 benchmarking tools we used which proves that the WD Black˛ is worth the investment as an upgrade to laptops and gaming PCs alike. Let’s see how well the WD Black˛ will do on the gaming portion of the review.

Last edited by Mudkip101; 23-07-2014 at 05:40 AM..
Old 23-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #60
Mudkip101

User Trials: Gaming experience

Gaming Experience

Before we begin, I just want to note that the only game that is on the SSD right now is Watch_Dogs as it is the most performance demanding game of all the games I have (and also I can’t fit any more games to the SSD because it’s only 120GB in size). All games are executed at the highest possible settings. I’ll be using FRAPS to see if I get any FPS improvements while using the WD Black˛. Let’s see what WD Black˛ has in store for us.

Watch_Dogs

On the WD 1TB Caviar Blue 7200 rpm HDD..
FPS Rating
  • Frames: 2166
  • Time (ms): 60000
  • Min: 30
  • Max: 51
  • Avg: 36.1
  • Average Loading time: 33.4 seconds
Watch_Dogs on the WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD (FPS at the upper right corner)
On the WD Black˛ SSD..
FPS Rating
  • Frames: 4264
  • Min: 63
  • Max: 76
  • Avg: 71.067
  • Average loading time: 12.6 seconds
Watch_Dogs on WD Black˛ SSD (FPS at the upper left corner)
At first, I couldn’t believe what a HUGE BOOST TO MY FPS the SSD had on the game. I didn’t expect it to be that high. No lags whatsoever. All smooth, graphics quality increased, smoothness of the game has also increased due to the big FPS boost.

Now for the games below I’ve installed them on the HDD part of the WD Black˛. I won’t be expecting much or any improvements at all if you look at the benchmark scores earlier. It scored the lowest of the 3 but still, it performs pretty well for a 5400 rpm hard drive. I may be wrong but let’s take a look.

Dota 2

FPS Rating
  • Frames: 10186
  • Min: 136
  • Max: 243
  • Avg: 176.233
Average loading times
  • Start of the application – 12.1 seconds
  • Start of a match – 17.8 seconds
Dota 2 on the WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD (FPS at the upper right corner)
On the WD Black˛ HDD..
FPS Rating
  • Frames: 9259
  • Min: 112
  • Max: 236
  • Avg: 154.317
Average loading time
  • Start of the application – 11.89 seconds
  • Start of a match – 17.2 seconds
Dota 2 on WD Black˛ HDD (FPS at the upper left corner)
Battlefield 4

FPS Rating
  • Frames: 4370
  • Min: 65
  • Max: 96
  • Avg: 72.833
  • Average loading time: 53.62 seconds
Battlefield 4 on the WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD (FPS at the upper right corner)
On the WD Black˛ HDD..
FPS Rating
  • Frames: 3482
  • Min: 42
  • Max: 82
  • Avg: 61.45
  • Average loading time: 51.263 seconds
Battlefield 4 on WD Black˛ HDD (FPS at the upper left corner)
Goat Simulator

FPS Rating
  • Frames: 1773
  • Min: 18
  • Max: 64
  • Avg: 29.55
  • Average loading time: 3.2 seconds
Goat Simulator on the WD 1TB Caviar Blue HDD (FPS at the upper right corner)
On the WD Black˛ HDD..
FPS Rating
  • Frames: 3482
  • Min: 5
  • Max: 63
  • Avg: 58.033
  • Average loading time: 4.9 seconds
Goat Simulator on WD Black˛ HDD (FPS at the upper left corner)
I should have expected the unexpected, was surprised and amazed how good the WD Black˛ 5400 rpm HDD compared to the WD Caviar Blue 7200 rpm HDD. The Goat Simulator was the one that knocked me out my socks off, a 20 average FPS difference was seen in favor of the WD Black˛. The benchmark tools was somewhat, a little off compared to the real deal gaming experience that WD Black˛ offers.

Conclusion

The WD Black˛ has given me quite a ride these past few weeks, boosting up the speed of the boot up of my PC from 53.6 seconds to an outstanding 5 seconds flat using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. That is however, what is expected to having an SSD as a boot up drive. The WD Black˛'s SSD also exceeded WD’s stated sequential read speeds of 350 MB/s which is a good point to ponder. These figures are impressive compared to existing hybrid HDDs on the market. Another thing to point out is its design. For me, the design makes it stand out from the other SSDs on the market giving that prestigious feeling of having one. The hardware is also compatible with most computers we have today with its 2.5” 9.5mm form factor, but some thinner laptops nowadays have drive bays that could only fit 7mm drives so be sure to check your laptop's drive bay specifications first before buying this one as it cost $200-$300 USD. A pretty big number for the performance it gives, as you could buy a better performing SSD with 250GB capacity and a 1TB 7200 rpm HDD for LESS the price or a 512GB SSD for almost the same price. Some of you may agree to what I've said but WD isn't targeting all the PC enthusiast out there, WD is keying on the laptop/notebook owners with single 2.5” drive bays that wants a snappy system with a large storage capacity in one single drive.

The WD Black˛ is surely an innovation bringing 2 drives into one however, the price is what makes potential customers stay away from it. As the latest notebooks/laptops now have dual 2.5” drive bays or a single 2.5" drive and an mSATA SSD, it's much cheaper to go that route. Another limiting factor is the lack of Mac support which would lead to an even narrower market as it is already now. If WD insisted on a 250gb SSD at the same price, it would have a huge impact to its market as well as the potential consumers it would bring. Fairly enough, There are its ups and downs on the WD Black˛ but still, it did its job and actually gave more than what it was stated and also comes with a 5 year warranty which goes to show how much WD has given to this product. Thumbs up to Western Digital for the innovation of the WD Black˛, world's first 2.5” SSD+HDD dual drive !

Last edited by Mudkip101; 24-07-2014 at 07:52 AM..