HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read
HardwareZonePH on Facebook

ySiG Student Edition - Join and Stand A Chance to Win a Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2!

Old 16-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #76
chooks.to.go

Awesome! The packaging is the same as any Samsung mobile phone but the great thing about it is that the headset has a dedicated button for music which helps a lot to toggle the music especially when the device is in your pocket. It also got two ear bud sizes which is great, at least you don’t have to buy a separate bud that fits your ears.
Agreeee! Basically, yan naman yung mga staple na kasama when it comes to phones eh. Sana lang there would be another back cover included so you can change it depending on your mood.
chooks.to.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #77
techius06

Just in case you're wondering about what are bundled with the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2.

DROOL..... so sexy. ahaha.
techius06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #78
chooks.to.go

Portable media players (PMP) usually come with an integrated battery, but the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2 is bundled with a removable type. Any thoughts on this?

I'm very happy that its battery is not integrated. As this is a performance heavy phone (in terms of the tasks it could do), there will come a time after continuous usage wherein the battery quality would deteriorate and thus not last long anymore.

If that happens, then fret not because the battery can be easily replaced! You also get the privilege to carry an extra one just to be ready all the time. Being able to change batteries extends your phones life and functionality, and as a student that's what I want because it's not a practical to use a device that would only last for 2/3/4 years.

I just want to share that I had an experience related to this removable battery. My very first phone was a Nokia 6600 (I was in Grade 6). The only problem that I encountered with that phone is when the battery is not functioning anymore after 2 years. Replacing the battery is the only trick I need, I was able to use it until 1st year college (total: 6 years). Sayang nga lang, kasi I may be able to still use it now, pero I'm not capable of doing so kasi it's interval system gave up on me na.

I'm pretty sure that if I have this device, I really could depreciate and use it until it gives up on me because what you just need to do is: [1] take care of the phone & [2] replace batteries if you're not satisfied at its performance na.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #79
chooks.to.go

I would just like to add that as a college student whose semester break is drawing nearer. I think that this phone is very good for road trips, mall hopping, while you're in the beach or in the comfort of your own - wherever and whenever! You can also share with your bestfriend or if you don't want keep it to yourself na lang.

Having this device will just make my semester break more exciting and my life will just reach another milestone with this.
Old 19-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #80
jezreel

One of the best ways to do these is through an Android device. However, many students are still reluctant of getting one because of the impression that they are too complicated.
We should not forget that not all students are techy or geek, like high school and elementary students. Most of the things we need for an effective usage of this device does not need complicated tweaks just what was said,
Positively, with an aim to make technology more accessible to everyone, Samsung has come up with a fun, easy-to-use Android-based handheld device that would fit students’ needs – the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2!
Thus said, just like as Samsung made it Galaxy S Wifi 4.2 easy-to-use for students like me, I will try to consider both the geeky and the non-geeky students (just like me) as I share my ideas throughout.
as a student, I would expect a fast wireless connection in order for me to browse for information I need, and also a clear and smooth display for viewing document files .
Aside from the screen size of a device, there are several factors that affects its document viewing capability.

Wifi 4.2 has a 4.2 inches displayed, as measured diagonally. So, this is not small for viewing most documents and reading texts. It has an IPS displays which provides more consistent and accurate viewing angle. It has also high pixel density of 222 ppi which is quite high resolution. It can also load document faster with a decent 1Ghz CPU and SGX 540 GPU.

On a less technical term, Galaxy S Wifi 4.2 has handy size of screen, an IPS for better viewing, high pixel density for less pixelated displays / less noticeable pixels in pictures, and a good processing unit for faster loading of text and pictures in a document.
So it can provide smooth display of documents and files.

*Though the pixel density is not provided, we were taught on how to get it manually, so I tried to get it myself. There was a specific formula used in schools on getting ppi.

PPI = √(a^2+b^2 )/(size ofscreen (4.2)) , a is the 480 and b is the 800 on the resolution 480 X 800.

I was also taught that the 480 X 800 resolution is not always the same on all devices, just like 480 X 800 on a 7 inch tablet has a very noticeable pixel. So knowing ppi is very important.

jezreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #81
reagan0524

There will be no need for you to actually use Advanced Task Killer to save battery because the built-in Task Manager would already suffice. You just need to regularly close programs directly from that.

To back up my assertion, you may read this regarding the Facts and Myths on How to Make your Android Device Faster: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-faster-works/

See it for yourself By the way, hopefully all you guys are safe from the recent southwest monsoon rains!
The tech blogger in the specified link provided is just looking on one assumption. There’s no experimentation to support the idea. He might have tested it on his device but testing ONLY in a single device would not reveal the truth due to the following factor: Different Android devices were being built using in different hardware features, Roms are being customized depending on the manufacturer. It is like humans when taking Meds, some have allergies, and some don’t, therefore, it has to be tested first in a row of devices before conclusion can be made.

I am suggesting it for that was my experience with my device, same as the tech blogger maybe that was his experience when he used one. Remember that “Hear Say” can never be a valid evidence. You can only testify once you have a personal experience on it.

I do understand that android has a default task manager but to kill the unnecessary backround apps manually every now and then would be a big hassle. What this app is offering is convenience and speed for it is freeing the RAM which is being filled-in by the backround processes. I also mentioned you can be selective in the apps that you’d like kill such as facebook, tweeter and emails that keep on syncing and running in the backround for I understand that some are running with its primary purpose. Those processes are being addedto CPU’s load and therefore draining the batteries.
reagan0524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #82
jezreel

……With the new Samsung Galaxy S and it's 4.2 inch wide screen, viewing all my slideshows for all my classes will be a breeze.
Apart from the widescreen, its media player can be a very helpful tool for me spends weekends travelling from Los Banos to Rizal. My weekly 6 hour ride to and From Los Banos to my home can be a lot less straining when I have 8 GB worth of entertainment at my fingertips
In addition, we cannot only view slideshows at the device, it can also control Powerpoint presentation (while reporting) with the device’s wifi and Bluetooth connection. This is with the help of applications like ‘Remote for Powerpoint’ and ‘iClickr’ connected to a PC. It can also display what is being displayed on the slideshow so you wont have to look the projector every now and then...

On a not so geeky terminology, it is like a remote control used on powerpoint reports so you don’t need to press the enter or arrow button while reporting. +points to your grades!

Lucky for people like us, who travels a lot to school, the S Wifi 4.2 has enough battery to last upto almost 6 hours of video (enough for your travel). Though certain settings like brightness, type of movie format, number of applications running at the current time can affect the promised battery performance, but if you are just an audiophile, this portable media player has enough power for non-stop music for a manila to a whooping 30-40 hours.

As a student, I expect the Samsung Galaxy S WiFi 4.2 to be amazingly fast and have a very good sound quality. Also, This is the first Android device that will compete with the iPod Touch, so we can expect it to be very good.
And speaking of audio quality, this Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.2 has SoundAlive audio technology. So it means optimized audio experience like crystal clear sounds, deep bass, and better tone. In a simpler term, it is betttterrr music experience.

What more can you expect if paired with a quality earphone?

Old 19-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #83
chooks.to.go

The tech blogger in the specified link provided is just looking on one assumption. There’s no experimentation to support the idea. He might have tested it on his device but testing ONLY in a single device would not reveal the truth due to the following factor: Different Android devices were being built using in different hardware features, Roms are being customized depending on the manufacturer. It is like humans when taking Meds, some have allergies, and some don’t, therefore, it has to be tested first in a row of devices before conclusion can be made.

I am suggesting it for that was my experience with my device, same as the tech blogger maybe that was his experience when he used one. Remember that “Hear Say” can never be a valid evidence. You can only testify once you have a personal experience on it.

I do understand that android has a default task manager but to kill the unnecessary backround apps manually every now and then would be a big hassle. What this app is offering is convenience and speed for it is freeing the RAM which is being filled-in by the backround processes. I also mentioned you can be selective in the apps that you’d like kill such as facebook, tweeter and emails that keep on syncing and running in the backround for I understand that some are running with its primary purpose. Those processes are being addedto CPU’s load and therefore draining the batteries.
The reason that I did not put my testimonial before and decided to only put it now is due to the exact reason that you mentioned above, mine was only solely my experience and it does not warrant enough judgment to generalize or at the very least, speak for the majority.

I agree that devices are built differently from each other, however a task killer or any other programs effect on the phone (i.e. staying running in the background) will be the same for all.

If you are referring to the article as "hear say," then I beg to differ as I believe at the website's credibility; moreover, the author's credibility. I am using a Smart ZTE Blade android phone, and upon installing the task killer app, I found my device to run slower and I was annoyed as the program is added to the roster of the running apps that I need to close every now then.

Sharing a blog review would be more credible as it is from a person that is more knowledgeable in the field. In addition, you might have forgotten that there are user testimonials/comments at the bottom of the page of the aforementioned article. You will see there that the consensus of all comments points out that Task Killer Apps are bogus and ineffectual.

I don't think that one of the strengths of the app killer would be convenience because I don't see any difference on the convenience that you get from the built in task manager and Task Killer app. You can select and choose what apps to kill, etc.. The task manager can do whatever the Task Killer is capable of.
Old 19-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #84
reagan0524

The reason that I did not put my testimonial before and decided to only put it now is due to the exact reason that you mentioned above, mine was only solely my experience and it does not warrant enough judgment to generalize or at the very least, speak for the majority.

I agree that devices are built differently from each other, however a task killer or any other programs effect on the phone (i.e. staying running in the background) will be the same for all.

If you are referring to the article as "hear say," then I beg to differ as I believe at the website's credibility; moreover, the author's credibility. I am using a Smart ZTE Blade android phone, and upon installing the task killer app, I found my device to run slower and I was annoyed as the program is added to the roster of the running apps that I need to close every now then.

Sharing a blog review would be more credible as it is from a person that is more knowledgeable in the field. In addition, you might have forgotten that there are user testimonials/comments at the bottom of the page of the aforementioned article. You will see there that the consensus of all comments points out that Task Killer Apps are bogus and ineffectual.

I don't think that one of the strengths of the app killer would be convenience because I don't see any difference on the convenience that you get from the built in task manager and Task Killer app. You can select and choose what apps to kill, etc.. The task manager can do whatever the Task Killer is capable of-(Not the automatic way).
There are also geeky websites who are recommending this. Like what I have quoted it is with the experience. Factors affecting it are the Hardware and how the ROM's are being coded by the manufacturer and the knowledge of the user. By that means, the end user has to put the specs of the gadget into consideration in choosing an app. Blog reviews are guide, but there's nothing more valuable evidence than being able to experience it by your own, and that is my very reason why i am not putting any of such, aside from the fact that it is their intellectual property.

I am able to utilize this app for know the right settings. I, myself is an android user for quite a long time. I am able to customize my gadget in the order that I want which is the reason why my friends are relying on me in terms of the techie stuff.

I must say that this app has a better chance on Samsung Galaxy S wifi 4.2 for I got a Samsung phone, same manufacturer.

Samsung really makes great and quality devices at affordable price. No wonder why they are the number 1 phone manufacturer around the globe nowadays.

Last edited by reagan0524; 20-08-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Old 19-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #85
reagan0524

Video Performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYiKA80GA8

Take a look on this link… The video recording capability of this device is pretty decent. It’s great for basic usage.

As my observation, the user was moving fast when he was recording it, yet there’s no pixilation in the recorded video. There’s an adequate color as well to define the image. This Samsung Galaxy Wifi 4.2 will definitely serve its purpose in getting video footages especially when there are some school activities which need to be recorded for sharing and academic purposes.
Old 20-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #86
reagan0524

Additional Apps

For those Accounting Student like me, I think Accounting App by WAGmob will be beneficial as it teaches the principles of accounting which is great for the principles of accounting is an accountant's foundation to avoid clerical errors in computing the finances of an entity. Another great app is Accounting Glossary APP. It defines most of the accounting terms.

For those who are music lovers and got existing playlists on itunes, There's an app which you can use to sync it to your android gadgets. It's called iSyncer.

Last edited by reagan0524; 20-08-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 20-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #87
jezreel

Thank you for posting your responses. Before we proceed, we want to clarify that the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2 does not have phone capabilities like calling and texting, hence, it is not a smartphone.

We saw that some of you mentioned about Android applications that can be used when studying. Can you mention some?
These are the apps that could help in school (especially in programming),
  1. C4Droid,
  2. Java Reference Cards (for seatworks)
  3. and Formulas Lite for some assignments.
However, there are some apps that can be also used for learning aside from its original purpose.

One example is Diaro Diary. Aside from personal stories (crushes and cute friends hihih... ), anyone can also use it for daily homeworks, notes and reminders.

Another is Google Goggles which was showed to me, I was really amazed with it. This could be a very helpful tool for learning... OCR, image recognition, and solve Sudokus..

To add, let me rearrange the phrase 'Android Applications that can be used when Studying' to 'Can be used when Studying Android Applications'.

In our school curriculum, we try to create android applications. We also study android applications by using an easy-to-use, easy-to-connect Appinventor. ( appinventor.mit.edu )

This device would be great testing ground for the application dev -- it has good screen size for better viewing, Samsung made it so it has updated and great driver / package support, it has almost complete connections like GPS, wifi and bluetooth....
Old 20-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #88
reagan0524

Samsung made it so it has updated and great driver / package support, it has almost complete connections like GPS, wifi and bluetooth....
--It's an improved Samsung Galaxy S without a SIM
Old 20-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #89
jezreel

Just wanna share with you an image of the Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2 put side by side with the Galaxy S II

Compared to the SII, the Galaxy S Wifi 4.2 has two speakers. And the best thing is, it is not in the back of the device. These speakers in the front of the device makes it a better media player. So in case you are listening and you placed in table, the music wont be distorted.

This stereo sound (and powered by SoundAlive) is a really great feature for a media player...as the saying goes, Two Heads are better than One.

Last edited by jezreel; 20-08-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 20-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #90
jezreel

Hi littlelion,

Just wondering, Is the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 4.2 capable of handling the connection to tv via cable so we could see the output there?
I think it cant, but since it is a Samsung smartphone, it can stream videos to your Smart TV (Samsung) via SmartView app...