www.hardwarezone.com.ph

www.hardwarezone.com.ph (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.ph/index.php)
-   Promotions, Activities & Giveaways (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.ph/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.ph/showthread.php?t=878721)

littlelion 17-06-2014 02:52 PM

WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

WD Black2 Dual Drive User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! is an online contest in which select individuals (preferably gamers) are chosen to test and use a WD Black2 unit for a period of two weeks. The participants are required to share their experiences while using it in real-world scenarios. The participant who will be able to impart the most relevant and sensible insights will win!

Mechanics

1. WD Black2 Dual Drive User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! is open to Filipino citizens (preferably gamers) who are currently residing in the Philippines and are of legal age.

2. Before a participant can join the selection process, he or she must join HardwareZone.com.ph’s Forums.

3. Participants must like and follow the following Facebook fan pages and Twitter accounts:

HardwareZone.com.ph on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HardwareZonePH

HardwareZone.com.ph on Twitter - https://twitter.com/HardwareZonePH

WD Philippines on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/WDPhilippines

WD Philippines on Twitter - https://twitter.com/wdpinas

4. The entire campaign is divided into two sections: the selection process and the actual user trials. Participants must answer questions “Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?” and “What are the games that you play?” as part of the selection process.

5. HardwareZone.com.ph will select the top five answers. Those who provided the best answers will be eligible to be part of the user trials in next two weeks.

6. For the actual user trials, the five chosen individuals must share their experiences with the WD Black2 in two weeks.

7. Participants will share statements and photos regarding their experiences with the WD Black2 on the contest thread and HardwareZonePH’s Facebook fan page. Content may include photos of their setup, videos while running apps on HDDs, benchmark results, etc.

8. The user trials administrator will guide the participants by using a set of questions.

9. After two weeks, HardwareZone.com.ph will pick one winner. He or she will keep the test unit and take home brand new PC gaming hardware components from the WD. The remaining participants will keep their test units.

10. The entire user trials, including the selection process, is subject to SPH’s terms and conditions pertaining to contests and lucky draws.

11. The selection process will run from June 17 to July 2, 2014. The user trials will run from July 7 to July 17, 2014.

ferta_32 20-06-2014 10:45 PM

Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

I would love to test out the world's first 2.5" dual-drive. I have been a long time user of Western Digital for my PC's storage needs. I also have been acquainted with mechanical drives since 10GB hard drives emerged and is also acquainted with SSDs as per personal use and in builds for customers. I am very much keen towards the performance of these two storage drive technologies, along side the performance variations from PATA to SATA and up until SATA III. I would be very glad to test this unique storage having the speed of a SSD but with the capacity of a mechanical drive.

I am a computer enthusiast, a graduate of BS in Computer Engineering, and makes a part of my living through building computers. I am the president of a sole modding group here in Baguio City.

What are the games that you play?
I play various genres of games such as FPS, MOBA, and MMORPG. Some games tested and played are BattleField 3, DOTA 2, Flyff, NBA 2K9 up to NBA 2K14, Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dirt 3, etc.

ruemerhasit 21-06-2014 02:43 AM

WD Black2 Dual Drive User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?

Why would I want to join the trials? One word: awesomeness. Ever since I saw the drive announced on an international forum, I wondered how would it perform in real-world usage. And how much difference would it make, comparing it to various storage solutions that I have seen, tried and used. Such as comparing the performance if it would be put in place of the hard drive of my laptop. It would also be a great increase in knowledge base, especially since I make recommendations to people, either personal, or on forums, on various aspects in computing. It would be a rare experience having to see the marriage of a speedy Solid State Drive and a spacious Mechanical Hard Drive right into a single drive.

2. What are the games that you play?

I play games which catch my interest, and which is capable of running on my hardware. More of my interest is in FPS and Driving Games. I play Call of Duty titles (CoD, United Offence, Modern Warfare, Modern Warefare 3), Need For Speed (Most Wanted, MW 2012, Carbon, Rivals), Fallout: New Vegas, and games which are available to be played, as long as they can run on the hardware.

paoloumali 21-06-2014 11:52 AM

I want to experience what WD Black2 is blacking(bragging) about.

I play Dota2 and SC2.

HakuronLiChien 21-06-2014 06:55 PM

Of course to win this awesome drive. I wanna win this drive
for better performance and i have been a fan of WD since
i bought my 1 TB External Hard Drive for my back up

i play Strife,Phantasy Star Online 2,Frozen Throne,

xchanmarc 21-06-2014 09:40 PM

given the applications i use and the games that I currently play, the WD Black2 will be an excellent addition to my rig and a great space saver. With the capacity to store all the recorded gameplays, and the speed to easily boot and even cut loading times, it's the best of both worlds! :D being an avid gamer at night and which i do a lot of video and photo rendering as my profession at day, i believe i can maximize its performance which i may include in my "real world" benchmark results, looking forward to test this baby out with my Rig (see sig below) :D really grateful to have this opportunity

What are the games that you (currently) play?
Uplay: Watch Dogs
Origin: Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, TitanFall
Steam: CS:GO, TF2, L4D2, Dota 2
Others: Guild Wars 2
All in Max Settings

najiro 22-06-2014 12:52 AM

Greetings Hardware Zone Philippines and WD Philippines! Here's my reply to the two questions asked including a brief introduction about myself.

About Me

I'm a computer enthusiast and hardware reviewer for a US based tech site but I live here in the Philippines. We know outsourcing is very popular nowadays and let's just say even reviews are being outsourced now.

Ever since I experienced the benefits of using an SSD boot drive, there's no going back. Well, that's what I thought before. For any enthusiast builder, it would seem that the appropriate build would be to have an SSD boot drive and a separate HDD storage drive. That was the only option until the hybrid drives like the WD Black2 came out. But since hybrid drives rather new, builders are seemingly reluctant to use or recommend hybrid drives based on my observation in forums and social media all over the world. I want to join the WD Black2 user trials address that very dilemma. I want to enlighten myself and others just what hybrid drives like the WD Black2 is about and what it can offer to gamers, builders and average computer users.

I can already see certain benefits of using the WD Black2 such as using them in laptops. We know typical laptops only have one slot for a 2.5" drive and SSDs above 240GB is just too expensive for an average consumer here in the Philippines. There are a lot of things I wanted to answer by using a WD black2 drive because I myself haven't experienced a hybrid drive before. Basically I just want to know which is the cheaper option (SSD+HDD combo vs hybrid drive) as well as better in performance. I can explain that in both gaming and in benchmark tests such as AS SSD, CrystalDiskMark, ATTO, Anvil Storage, PC Mark 8 Pro, PC Mark vantage and others. Ultimately, I want to experience using a WD Black2 so that I can tell others what it offers. I can do a full review for the site if required. :)

Currently playing Phantasy Star Online 2 and Dragon Nest SEA. Sometimes I play Battlefield 3 and 4 (but pings here in the Philippines are bad most of the time and I get kicked!). I also have Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (which I haven't finished because I lost all the saved sessions LOL) as well as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Crysis 3, Mass Effect 3 and other games in my Origin and Steam library.

Thank you for this rare opportunity, mabuhay HardwareZone PH and WD PH! :)

littlelion 22-06-2014 02:22 PM

Thank you for the responses guys! Keep them coming! :s12:

renz62 22-06-2014 03:18 PM

WD Black2 Dual Drive User Trials: Experience the Power of Two!

After receiving my first SSD and made it my boot drive, everything was fast and snappy. SSD's are a big, if not, a huge upgrade for every gamer out there. Load times of games such as Battlefield 4 are cut down from 1 minute to 10 seconds! I can't even grab a glass of water after every round! :s13:

I want to join the WD Black2 User Trials contest because I want to test out if the said SSD+HDD drive combo can compete with other single SSD's in the market even though it includes a hard drive. I currently own a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD and I want to compare both drives and see which one will be a clear winner.

I mostly FPS games but here's the complete list of stuffs that I mostly play.
Steam: Payday 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Counter Strike: GO.
Origin: Battlefield 4, Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Mass Effect 3.
Uplay: Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed 3.

My Rig
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866
GPU: EVGA GTX 560
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme 500watt
Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1
Mouse: Corsair M65
Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown

littlelion 23-06-2014 10:26 AM

WD's "Technical Dinner"

Hello everyone! Please be informed that some of you will be invited to WD's "technical dinner" where we're going to announce the five individuals who will be part of the user trials. We'll send PMs. Thank you!

ysniper135 24-06-2014 10:50 AM

It always brings me enjoyment every time I try a new pc components. Hands on testing & bench marks. Gives me an advantage on reviewing & recommending what’s best for a pc system in the future.

I play a lot of call of duty games & a lot of racing games like F1 & Motogp

nigelreloaded 24-06-2014 11:32 AM

On my current HDD configuration I’m using a 60 GB SSD for boot drive and 3 x 500 GB HD for Games, Movies documents and virtual machines. 60 GB is a small amount of storage and can easily be used up by the operating system and other apps like adobe and office suite and my hard drive dedicated for movie is almost full at 420 GB. The WD Black² drive looks like a great solution for my problem it has a 120 GB SSD and 1 TB of dedicated storage so I would really appreciate it if I can be a Trial user for it.

Currently I play Dota 2, Starcraft 2 and world of tanks I also play Diablo 3 and heartstone occasionally.

moabiouz 24-06-2014 04:13 PM

Well honestly, I have never ever had an SSD until now. I would buy a new GPU or CPU or rams when the time comes I feel a need for an upgrade, upgrading to an SSD would be the last thing on my list. SSD's are quite expensive. Yes, you'll experience fast boot up, fast cache, fast file transfer in exchange for huge disk capacity. SSD's 240GB up will surely hurt my pocket. Right now, I'm still using an all around 320GB SATA II hard disk for OS and games. I'm pretty cool with it but letting me experience a hybrid storage my change my mind :)

Battlefield 4, Battlefield 3, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offense

amarenas 24-06-2014 07:55 PM

Dependable Storage at its best...

As an IT Professional, I would like to experience firsthand the dependability and durability as a storage solution. Being a Systems Engineer and Database Administrator, storage solutions is a must for me. Since Black2 is a combo drive ( SSD + SATA ) , I want to test and experience the usability of this new technology on my daily workload.

Call of Duty series, StarCraft II series, Command and Conquer Series, DOTA, Battle Field series, NFS series are some of the games I play.

mcoymac 24-06-2014 08:33 PM

I want to join the user trials because I need a faster hard drive. I mainly use my laptop for gaming, which only has a 750gb 7200rpm HDD. Was thinking of using an mSATA SSD for it but ended up being interested on WD Black2 which is just what I need. An SSD for all the stuff I need to load fast and a large hard drive for storing the other files which I normally need. And it's all in a 2.5 inch form factor! Fits perfectly for all my needs which are gaming and editing multimedia.

My favorites are Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 4, DotA 2, Diablo 3, Phantasy Star Online 2. Those are what I currently play.

Mudkip101 24-06-2014 08:40 PM

Lorenz de Guzman

I want to join because I am a huge fan of WD with my WD 2TB USB3.0 Portable HDD and 1TB Caviar Blue HDD for my desktop (Desktop is only a month old) . I use them because of their great build quality, optimum performance and their awesome support for their customers! Having to test out the monstrous WD Black2 would be a hell of a fun ride for me with my games such as Watch Dogs, Dota 2, Thief, COD and lots lots more! I would never be ceased to be amazed by WD products!

Now for my technical background. I'm an Information Technology Graduate with a bunch of certifications from Microsoft and Oracle, currently employed at 1 of the leading IT companies in the world. Also the color "BLACK" is my thing ;).

I play the simplest of games like Plants VS. Zombies, Mario, Minecraft Etc to the LATEST and PERFORMANCE DEMANDING GAMES such as Watch Dogs, Titan Fall, Thief, BF 4 and many many more that I could ever think off! This experience would give me a big boost to my system with these current specs.

specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Sniper B5
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: Saphhire R9 280x TOXIC
RAM: Ripjaws CL7 1600 2x4gb
Processor: Intel i5 4670
PSU: Seasonic 620W Bronze Full Modular
Chassis: Phantom 530 Black

Pics:
My Setup:
http://i59.tinypic.com/14m7vxf.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2096pv6.jpg

My 2TB Portable WD Drive USB 3.0
http://i60.tinypic.com/15eh7no.jpg

directorJay 25-06-2014 12:01 AM

I'm a creative pro, I mainly work with videos using programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects. In my line of work - speed, reliability and performance of hardware is a standard. I've been a user of Western Digital Drives from my first PC until now, with my current setup having 2 WD Black as storage drives, a 1TB and 2TB respectively, I also own a WD Digital Elements portable drive to move files with me on the go. All of my WD products, have never failed me, that's also a reason why their products are known for great quality and reliability, not to mention fast speed and optimum performance. I have never used a WD SSD though, just a few months ago they announced an SSD and I was excited! But it wasn't available in the Philippines at that time so I have to work with another brand. If this chance was given to me it would be a good way to test them not only in games but also with creative professional use; to assess their usability and reliability with the daily workload of a creative professional. Also it would be a pleasure if I could finally work on an "unboxing video" which I've been wishing to try for a long time :))

And also I run a fairly capable system running with a 4770k CPU and Radeon 290x GPU, I'm an enthusiast of good quality hardware so this will fit nicely on my system and run unbiased benchmarks.

My Setup Video (before the addition of another hard drive)

I play games during my free time so despite being a creative pro, I'm also a gamer, well basically the hardware of my video editing PC are all gaming-grade enthusiast parts cost they tend to be more cost-effective when you're in a certain budget. I heard that the new WD Black2 is also tagged as an affordable dual-drive solution, so despite being a high capacity fast drive, it is still affordable.
I mainly play DotA2, Battlefield 4, the new Battlefield Hardline, Left 4 Dead 2, Hearthstone and a lot of different indie games. I also try mainstream popular games just for the sake of checking the visuals in the highest quality (Thief, Watchdog).

neesnu 26-06-2014 03:03 PM

First of all, because this is something new. but upon reading a quick review regarding this new product, I got more excited!

SSD performance can degrade when total capacities are reached or after a finite number of writes have been reached, which is a major concern for SSD users. This dual drive is the solution to these problem, I can put my large amount of data on the HDD, and this will ultimately extend the life of my SSD.

When gaming, loading will never be a problem, faster boot times and smoother game play.

...and I'm planning to make a smaller rig, this will really help me save more space for my ITX build. no more 3.5" HDD! Yay!

What are the games that you (currently) play?

I'm currently playing Dota2, BattleField 3 and BattleField 4
..and randomly playing SniperElite and some old Call of Duty series.

Hey! I also use Photoshop and other multimedia softwares.. more space! more scratch disk :D

Thanks for the chance HardwareZone PH! :s12:

akosivince 26-06-2014 07:49 PM

i want to Experience the power of WD Black2 first hand. i only heard stories about SSD's how fast booting OS, Games, other apps. It's hard to play when it takes several minutes far a game to start.. "nawawala yung excitement sa paglalaro".
and i think WD Black2 combined SSD and HDD is much better than having 2 separate drives.

I play games like: World of Tank SEA, Call of Duty, Sniper Ghost Warrior and Racing Games

timlyco 27-06-2014 10:52 AM

I want to know just how fast a dual drive will be. I've been a fan of WD for a long time. I'm using their WD Black hard disk drive (1TB) and another External WD Hard Disk Drive (1TB, the one with an external plug). It's been with me for the longest time and there has not been an issue with these products. I know of the rise of the SSD's and the incredible increase in speed it can do for your computer setup, but with the prices, I just could not get myself to purchase any because I just don't want to settle for a low capacity SSD. Joining the user Trials will let me experience this beast of a Hard Drive that combines the speeds of SSD with the storage space of conventional Hard disk drives. I've wanted to get a new storage device for some time now and was thinking of saving up for a 512GB or 1TB SSD. If I join the WD Black2 User Trials, this maybe the HDD my rig needs. :)

I've been gaming since I was a kid. Games are what I look forward to. I believed games were what defined me as a person. Though I am not working in the gaming field, gaming influenced me to enter the creative design career.

I've played the original Doom and Duke Nukem games, The original Starcraft and Warcraft Games, Diablo I & II, C&C Red Alert Series, Command & Conquer Series, the whole Assassin's Creed Series, Hitman Series, Tomb Raider Series, Rainbow 6 Series, Need for Speed Series and many more.

The more recent games I've played are Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Diablo III, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Series, Metro Last Light, Crysis Series, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands, The Witcher I & II, Mass Effect series, Sleeping Dogs, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Full Burst, Simcity, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Dark Souls, Payday 2, Call of Duty Phantoms, Dota 2, Company of Heroes, Starcraft II, Deus Ex, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, Need for Speed Rivals and a lot more. haha :s13:

I'm also looking forward for these PC games:
Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, The Division, Rainbow 6 Siege, GTA V.

Additional Info: My Rig
Intel i7 3770 Processor (cooled by CM Seidon 120M)
ASUS ROG Maximus V Gene
GSKill Ripjaws 2 x 8gb RAM (total of 16gb)
Asus Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Video Card
WD Black (1tb HDD, then add WD Black2 haha :s13: )
HP W2207H Monitor

JEvidente 27-06-2014 04:33 PM

There was a reason I bought a WD Black 1Tb HDD 3 years ago. I wanted a storage solution that was not only very good and reliable but was built and designed more for gaming and other purposes that other HDDs can't provide effectively. As one of the game review contributors for Gaming Tribe, a global social media community "tweaked, modded, and over-clocked" exclusively for gamers and pc enthusiasts worldwide, a WD Black HDD was the only choice and a necessity for me. I continue to play games and submit reviews for 3 years now and my WD Black never ever failed me. When I heard of the new WD Black2, a dual drive storage solution with the "Black" on it and with an SSD, IS a no-brainer for me. It is high time for me to level up from my original WD Black and experience the benefits that the new WD Black2 especially its SSD can offer and provide. I want to try out that ultimate gaming experience, to have a faster, better and smoother gaming performance as I play and do my reviews.

I play a lot of games from Indie to mainstream games like Crysis, Dead Space, StarCraft Series, Diablo Series, WarCraft series, Medal of Honor, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows and so on. I play RTS, RPG, and FPS games generally but I am currently playing South Park: The Stick of Truth, BF3, BF4, Sniper Elite V2 and Watch Dogs. I just submitted a game review for both Sniper Elite V2 and Watch Dogs and waiting for my next game to review at the moment.

feb289 27-06-2014 09:43 PM

I would like to try the new WD Black2 because i would like to know how it would affect my experience running it on my rig and specially how it would improve the overall experience of gaming. This would be a great experience for me as using mechanical drives for gaming and to feel the difference in speed between the two. It would be great that if this can decrease the load times in games so less time is wasted. And since im a student in the field of technology it would really help that i could get to my work as fast as possible wasting little time that can be wasted and specially when creating and exporting rendered video files. Looking forward to try this in my Hackintosh, considering how fast it already boots lets see how will this drive make it faster :D

The games that i currently play are Dota 2, CS:GO, Watch_Dogs (faster drives would be beneficial here to decrease load times :D), Saints Row IV, SC2, Hearthstone, BF3&4 and BF Hardline Beta.

DjanFox 28-06-2014 12:07 AM

I would like to try the new WD Black2 because i would like to know how it would affect my experience running it on my rig and specially how it would improve the overall experience of gaming. This would be a great experience for me as using mechanical drives for gaming and to feel the difference in speed between the two.

The games that i currently play is CS:GO,

olibroccoli 28-06-2014 12:44 AM

Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/y0uYOKC.png
Seriously, I wanna know how fast it is.

Data Sucker. I like squeezing the last bit of information that I could gather out of anything (test case, experiment, figures and stats etc). I want to test how WD Black2 is going to perform and conclude any benefits that it can offer to any types of user -- inside and outside of gaming

Methodology. Everybody can conduct benchmarks but proper methodology and having a big bag of patience and another bag of experience is a different story

Storage Race. Eager to study and analyze where the newest generation of storage technology has taken the competition

About Me: I'm not a bachelor of any computer-related course. I'm just a passionate enthusiast who only has an online thread for gaming notebooks (300 pages and up) which keeps the cycle of information going. I love gaming but benchmarking & data gathering is my passion.

I am currently using a gaming notebook as my workhorse. Residing underneath is a 512GB Sata III SSD which needs a companion. My other bay is currently open for another test specimen (if lucky enough, lawls)

DoTA 2, Civilization V, DiRT, NBA 2K, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry, BioShock Series, Mass Effect Series, GTA Series, Classic (emu-based)

Reanzer 28-06-2014 12:46 PM

I'm a gamer and media downloader. As such, my hard disk is almost full from everything I have a downloaded this year alone.

So far, I have only tried an external hard disk and the usual internal one, but never an ssd or a combination of the old and the new. I'm a budget gamer, so I'm using a standard I3, and internal video card. The problem that I get with this kind of setup is the loading time in between games(e.g. maps). I do know that FPS isn't really improved by SSDs but if I can increase loading times of my games and OS, with just increasing my storage, then that would really save me a lot in the long run.

Currently, I'm playing Dota2 most of the time. I have other games installed like BlackOps2 and Darksiders, but I also play casual games like CandyCrush.

reenigne 29-06-2014 09:43 PM

“Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?”
For fun, and to finally meet the WD Black2. I have not tried an SSD yet, since WD Black is already enough with my gaming needs. But since it's WD I would love to try this baby!

Black will always look good.

“What are the games that you play?”
Batman-Arkham Origins, Crysis 3, BF3, BF4, Splinter Cell Blacklist

butitoy 30-06-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

1.Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?
having shifted to FAST! WD Black 64MB Cache HDD, i am never been happier and will never look back< 2TB +2TB+4TB > but looking forward for this WD Black2 and i wanna know how fast really this baby is, as being advertised.

On what speed level can it offer compared to my existing WD Blacks when opening large photoshop files or compose or edit video in vegas + many adobe apps.

having WD Black sataIII is fast enough to satisfy my storage + speed needs and i always recommend it to my clients and fiends to buy whenever we assemble new PC, it's just plain very satisfactory over expense.

and having a marriage of SSD+WD Black is almost a dream.Now how about we do it in RAID 0 or perhaps RAID5?

Quote:

2.What are the games that you play?
when schedule allows it, i'm a first person shooting gamer, i always play the BF and COD games from the oldest to the newest version with BF3|4 - COD4 MW1,2,3 | Ghost as favorites, while waiting for BF Hardline and COD Advance warfare as soon as it will be available.

also Medal of Honor Warfighter. i love this game.

ARMA series | sometimes sniper elite, ghost recon

also playing the Need for Speed racing games.

eyeing Metro2033 | TitanFall and WatchDog in coming days .

the oldie but addictive starcraft and Starcraft2

littlelion 30-06-2014 04:39 PM

Extension of the Selection Process

Please be informed that we are extending the selection process until July 2, 2014. Additionally, we've already send the invitations (via PM) to the upcoming WD Black2 Seminar where we will announce the five testers. To those who have received our invitation, please respond. Thank you. :)

spiderpig_666 01-07-2014 01:52 AM

“Why do you want to join the WD Black2 User Trials?”

Ever since I got my 1TB MyBook from WD, I have loved and respected their products. My HDD has been going strong for over 4 years and it still runs as smooth as ever. It has been a big part of my life because it has outlived my older computers and it has always kept my games, movies, music, pictures, and even school documents, safe and readily accessible. I would like to be part of the trials because I wanna be part of something big. It may not be much to otther people, but to me, the improvements that have happened to storage technology over the decades are astonishing and amazing. As an Applied Physics student, it amazes me even more when you have a deeper understanding of how the technology works.

“What are the games that you play?”

I am an avid Steam gamer and a hardcore gamer.
My daily playlist is:
DotA 2
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Killing Floor

The other games that I regularly play include but is not limited to:
Tomb Raider (2013)
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
Metro 2033
Metro Last Light
Saint's Row 3
The Wolf Among Us
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Dead Space 3

dearjohnph 01-07-2014 12:34 PM

This is the best time for me to join such a promotional trial as I am currently involved in procuring equipment for a small office this mid-late July. Additionally, being in the digital marketing industry, one of my responsibilities is to share my experiences to the online community including tech reviews, which then makes this trial a lot helpful to improve my knowledge on Western Digital products.

Additionally, one of the main reasons why I am a good fit for this opportunity is because I am the "adviser" when people in my circle intends to buy gadgets. I swear being the family tech support guy sucks... :(

Dragon Age 2, Tropico 5, Fable 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Launch Sniper Elite V2, NBA 2k14, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2, Shogun 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield and a lot more...

the_wisemen06 01-07-2014 03:59 PM

WD Black 2 user trials

I want to test out the performance of the WD black2 drives especially I am very common on the previous performances of the western digital brand. I have used before the 80gb version before the caviar series. and the last one I have bought is the 320gb caviar blue for my desktop. Also, I have bought a 1TB My passport essential usb3.0. Performance of the drives that I have brought from WD satisfies me always. So being able to test their latest addition to their family of drives especially in Games Like BF3, DOTA 2 and Left 4 dead 2. would really enthralled me especially if performance in loading and bandwidth increase that it would provide. As an Engineer I am a performance enthusiast.

The games I play is Battlefield 3, Dota 2 and Left 4 dead 2.

ryujochi 01-07-2014 05:07 PM

Because I'd like to know how much speed, capacity and efficiency WD Black2 Dual Drive gives. I also want to compare it to my, and the conventional, SSD + HDD combo to see what could be the pros and also the cons in using the product.

I'm a Computer Engineering graduate, PC enthusiast, and do know my way around computers. That is why I would also like to review this product and to share what I know and to explain them (in the best way i could :D) in a review how this product would really perform in real life setup.

I would try my best to make an honest review.

I'm currently playing:

Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Battlefield
Castle Crashers
Crysis 3
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Grid 2
WatchDogs
Dota 2
Team Fortress
League of Legends
NBA 2k14
The Witcher 2
Metro Last Light
Killing Floor

littlelion 02-07-2014 11:13 AM

We will accept entries until 11:59PM today. Thank you! :)

littlelion 03-07-2014 11:38 AM

Thank you for participating in the screening process of the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! To the participants who have confirmed attending the WD Black2 seminar tomorrow, we're looking forward to seeing you! :s12:

littlelion 03-07-2014 12:23 PM

To those who have received our personal invitation to the seminar and who haven't replied, you may still confirm or decline today.

griver_007 03-07-2014 11:50 PM

To be blunt I want to win it. I Am always fascinated by WD products ever since I bought their 2TB Passport and I want to own this one too, badly.

The games that i currently play are Total War series and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series. The games that I'm going to play are Call of Duty: Advance Warfare series, Infamous, Titan Fall and Watch Dogs. If I may add, one of my reasons to join is because I'm going to upgrade my rig this month so it would be mutually beneficial to both parties if I will join the chosen ones.

PowerPlay.caradise 04-07-2014 12:42 PM

1. Why do you want to join the WD Black2 user trials?

I want to experience gaming with a high quality SSD. I currently own an ASUS ROG gaming laptop and while it does the job quite well, I think this product can help me increase its performance.

Dota 2 only

butitoy 04-07-2014 10:50 PM

Winners.

Hello Sirs

who were among the list who won the Honor of reviewing | beta testing the WD Black2?

directorJay 05-07-2014 04:15 PM

Sirs, whats the update on the list of people who gets to review the product?

littlelion 07-07-2014 04:45 PM

WD Black2 Dual Drive Technical Seminar

Thank you guys for attending the WD Black2 Dual Drive technical seminar last Friday. We'll be uploading more photos and present to you the testers. :)

littlelion 07-07-2014 05:09 PM

Charlotte Koa, WD Philippines' Country Manager for Internal Hard Drives, shared more details on the capabilities and features of the WD Black2 Dual Drive during the technical seminar.

littlelion 07-07-2014 10:25 PM

Event Photos

Here are some of the sidelights at the WD Black2 technical seminar last Friday. :)

littlelion 07-07-2014 10:41 PM

WD Black2 User Trials Testers

http://images.hardwarezone.com/uploa...fdcc26c286.jpg

One of the key portions of the WD Black2 technical seminar was the announcement of the testers for the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! They are:

Timothy Co (timlyco)

Lorenzo James De Guzman (Mudkip101)

Limbert Sanoy (ferta_32)

http://images.hardwarezone.com/uploa...278c5a480d.jpg

Lloyd Lester Partoza (neesnu)

http://images.hardwarezone.com/uploa...eebe7e4a6e.jpg

Oliver Santos (olibrocolli)

littlelion 08-07-2014 12:22 PM

Introduction, Initial Impressions, and Expectations

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win! :s12:

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.

Mudkip101 08-07-2014 02:24 PM

Greetings fellow netizens! First and foremost, I would like to say my greatest thanks to Western Digital and Hardware Zone PH for giving me this opportunity to review this wonderful product of theirs and to my fellow reviewers a big congratulations to you all! Let me introduce myself before we go to the initial review. My name's Lorenzo James de Guzman AKA Mudkip101. I currently reside here in Bulacan. Graduate of Information Technology, a microsoft certified professional and an oracle certified associate. Currently working as a Database Administrator. As you may know, we DBAs maintain the huge storage of data of a company. I have some amount of experiences handling with these drives and the types of storage,backups and restores they could accomplish. But enough about that, let's talk about the WD Black², the world's first 2.5" SSD+HDD dual drive.

At first glimpse, the packaging was well made, eye-catching,detailed and yet still simple but elegant. The package has an image of a formula one racecar in it, as you slide the content of the box, you'll see the full image of the car racing at a blazing speed leaving a golden trail.

Front:
http://i60.tinypic.com/29qh36h.jpg

Back:
http://i60.tinypic.com/vep6xw.jpg

The full image of the F1 racecar:
http://i58.tinypic.com/j7uhqq.jpg

Thumbs up to WD for the creativity!. I think the image is referring to WD Black²'s Shift_Technology. I quote from WD Black2's website "WD Black² Shift_Technology is race-ready from the starting line with enhanced firmware and improved algorithms for faster performance and data management". SSD performance degrades when a finite number of writes have been reached or if the drive is almost/reached 100% capacity. WD now has a solution to these problems with their all new WD Black² Dual Drive.

You can move the larger files or write extensive files to the 1TB HDD while leaving only the system files and/or other softwares you want to be optimized in the SSD, increasing the lifetime and maintaining the optimum performance of the SSD.

The WD Black² Dual Drive package contents comes with the following.
  • WD Black² Dual Drive Unit
  • Quick Install Guide
  • Tech Support and Warranty Guide
  • SATA to USB Adapter Cable
  • USB Key (Maintaining the F1 inspired theme)

Package and the contents:
http://i61.tinypic.com/i4qn2e.jpg

The adapter utilizes a USB 3.0 connection for data transfer, and a USB 2.0 connection to power the WD Black² during the cloning process. The unique USB "Key" takes us to the website of the WD Black² (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190) in which we can download the drive installation software as well as some really helpful tutorials on how to install the SSHD and how to clone an existing HDD to the WD Black². The key symbolizes the start of our engine that will leave our old mechanical harddrives to the dust. Once you go SSD, you can never go back. The WD Black² looks well built (Not to mention the 5 year warranty that comes with it), has a great design with a good color combination of black and gold and pretty compact as it is a 9.5mm model which should fit all SFF systems and the vast majority of laptops, though some slim laptops use 7mm drives.

WD Black²:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2euibld.jpg

Small note: Be sure to check out your laptop's drive measurements before buying this $300 Dual Drive.

My personal expectations to it is that it will be a bit slower than the traditional SSDs we have today but still faster than the HDDs. This is an ideal drive for laptops which only has a single drive bay. Let's hope for the best for WD Black² :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlelion (Post 891304)
Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win! :s12:

Testers, please introduce yourself and share with us your initial impressions and expectations on the WD Black2 Dual Drive that you have.

leiftesorio 08-07-2014 05:43 PM

I really want to improve the performance of my laptop. Having this would greatly improve performance plus an upgrade from my existing 500GB HHD. I have used WD external hard drives and it is really good experience to me and satisfy me always. So, having these WD Black 2 would greatly help in my photoshop, lightroom and autocad works. i am a heavy tasker. I can open 2 mozilla fox with 10 tabs, opening adobe lightroom and playing dota2. To be able to have this drive would be a great help to me.

The games I play is Skyrim, Dota 2, Command and Conquer 4, and final fantasy.

Hope to have this one.....

olibroccoli 09-07-2014 03:54 AM

World's First

http://i.imgur.com/Dbs7mFm.jpg

Size. The huge size of the box vs. the 2.5" size of the drive could really trigger you to think a lot of exciting things. How many goodies will you find inside. What accessories came along with it.

Color Scheme. I love the conservative two-color scheme (gold and black). They could choose to be flashy and use more than three colors but they didn’t. Gold makes up the premium quality feel and elegance of the product. Black signals serious masculinity

Box & Print Design. It includes a sliding & a cool magnetic flap box. Front box got the rear of a Formula One race car. Upon sliding the inner box, reveals the whole race car.

Quote:

WD Black² Package Kit
- 2.5” WD Black² Dual Drive
- Quick Install Guide Booklet
- Technical Support and Warranty Information
- USB to SATA transfer cable
- USB web key. Links you to the driver and cloning software download
http://oi59.tinypic.com/vqqfky.jpg

Quote:

Quick Specs
- Capacity:120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
- Form Factor: 2.5"
- Interface: Serial ATA-600, 7 pin Serial ATA
- Drive Transfer Rate: 600 MBps
- Internal Data Rate: 350 MBps (read) / 140 MBps (write)
Aesthetics. I like the black, glossy smooth texture plate cover. You could also find some PCB traces as part of the design which kinda looks cool, too. Like a cyborg; half SSD, half HDD -- LOL

Standard 2.5” Design. Same sata connection interface. Even if it’s a combo of two physical drives, Western Digital was still able to manage to fit both, inside a 9mm housing. Notebook bays therefore, should be 9mm compliant.

Innovation. From the concept alone, the idea of having two physical drives forged in a single SATA, is another major step for digital storage tech. We are not just talking about merging basic storage disks here – we’re seriously dealing with performance-capacity combo drives (SSD & 1TB HDD)

One obvious drawback would be the no RAID option but I believe, it could be easily addressed in the future (software/firmware adjustments etc.). If they could come up with a "world's first" idea, finding a solution won't be a major problem.

Regardless, it's another great innovation which aims to save space and create a more compact yet powerful rig that can handle light to heavy work loads we throw on it.

Expectations

Performance. On paper, it should perform below average vs. drive speed standards of the SSD/5400RPM HDD single drive counter parts. We'll get to know more about what is the real score on this department, so better keep posted.

Price. The price might be quite expensive than expected. That's how most pricing trend goes especially with new technologies.

Market. I believe that there's a demand & definitely potential market for this niche. They should invest for a 7mm variant in the future to expand the demand for another group of consumers. They could also beef up the 120GB SSD capacity to 240GB, to make more room for some key programs/softwares.

Special shout outs to ferta_32, Mudkip101, neesnu, timlyco and of course, HardwareZone.PH & Western Digital.PH!

*Flies away on a dragon*

Quote:

Hello testers. Welcome to the WD Black2 User Trials: Experience the Power of Two! In two weeks, you are tasked to test the WD Black2 Dual Drive and share with us your experiences with that new hybrid storage solution from WD. Per our orientation, the tester who will be able to share the most relevant insights will be chosen as the winner of the user trials and win a PhP 25,000-worth of gaming bundle which include a desktop monitor and a graphics card. May the best man win!

neesnu 10-07-2014 01:13 AM

Hi Guys! First of all I would like to say thank you to Western Digital Philippines and HardwareZone Philippines for giving me a chance to test and experience the world's first 2.5-inch dual drive storage solution, WD Black² Dual Drive. ~ By the way I'm Lloyd, I'm a Computer Science graduate, a Gamer, and a Lover :D

Okay, going back with WD Black² Dual Drive, given the name Dual Drive, first thing that came to my mind is that 2 physical drive slap together, But in reality is an SSD and an HDD built into one small 2.5″ form factor.

PACKAGING :
WD Black² Dual Drive is packed in a premium looking packaging that ensures that safety of the drive inside, with a formula one race car design with a golden trail that indicates speed and power. I also liked the colors used on the box, Black and gold ..simple and elegant.

Front :
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...psb2669fc3.jpg

Back :
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...psf2e5d0e9.jpg

WHAT'S INSIDE?
Upon sliding the inner box, It reveals the whole race car design of the package, this box is much harder than the outer packaging and it has a magnetic flap that makes it easier to access what's inside the box.

Box inside slide out :
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...psee5c5bde.jpg

• Inside this premium looking box :
- WD Black² Dual Drive
- Small warranty guide
- A Quick Installation Guide,
- A Setup Thumb Drive which is actually just a shortcut for the URL where you’ll find the driver for the 1TB HDD (more about it later)
- A USB header that you could use to well, use the drive as an external storage device.

Inside :
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps355c7095.jpg

Measurement :
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps66a8e164.jpg

EXPECTATIONS :

WD Black² Dual Drive
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps8092d33e.jpg

My personal expectation is that this drive will run slower than the dedicated SSD's we have today but knowing that this 120GB SSD is packed with a 1TB HDD built into one small 2.5″ form factor. That's a wow! ~ let's see how it performs on the following days.

Again, thank you HardwareZone PH and Western Digital PH.

Quote:

ferta_32 10-07-2014 05:30 AM

Review Phase 1

Quote:

littlelion wrote:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2mq71hw.jpg

Pictures: Gallery Link

Here is the video I made for Phase 1 of the review.

Product Link: http://tinyurl.com/kkayea7

Additional Information:

SSD VS HDD. Courtesy of Techquickie
http://tinyurl.com/qfa3uo6

SSD VS HDD VS Seagate Hybrid SSHD. Courtesy of TheUgster
http://tinyurl.com/lk42qw9

timlyco 10-07-2014 11:04 PM

Tim Co | WD Black2 User Trials

Good day everyone! I'm Timothy Co (timlyco). I'm a multimedia arts graduate of De La Salle - College of St. Benilde, creative director at www.reeco.com.ph.

I've been a gamer since I was a kid. Gaming has been a big part of my life. It is what pushed me to pursue my degree. One of the first games I remember playing was Battle Chess and Prince of Persia on a 486 PC. Those were the days when the big floppy disks were still a thing, PC's required ID cards to gain access and the internet wasn't even invented. Nowadays, PC games have become a lot more complex and demand a great deal on your PC. If you want to keep playing games, you have to keep updating your hardware.

I'm privileged to be part of the WD Black2 User Trials. Many thanks to HardwareZone Philippines and Western Digital Philippines for this honor.

I. Packaging
I currently own a WD Caviar Black hard disk drive. When I purchased it, it only came in an anti static plastic. This is how internal hard drives are usually packaged.

http://www.reeco.com.ph/img/Prod_Des...wd-package.jpg

With the WD Black2,it is obvious that Western Digital wants to give you a product with a premium feel. A sleek black box with an F1 race car design and gold accents is what greets the user.

The black and gold color scheme of the box displays class and elegance. The F1 race car design obviously represents one thing, SPEED.

II. Unboxing

http://www.reeco.com.ph/img/Prod_Des...w/wd-unbox.jpg

Sliding a second box out reveals the full F1 race car design. Opening the lid, you will find:
  • WD Black2 USB Key
  • WD Black2 Manual Quick Install Guide
  • WD Black2 Warranty Guide
  • WD Black2 Drive
  • USB to Sata Adapter

http://www.reeco.com.ph/img/Prod_Des...d-contents.jpg

What intrigued me was the USB Key, the design really gives you a feeling that you are about to experience something great. That exciting feeling of driving a car for a first time or maybe riding a very thrilling roller coaster. This got me even more excited to start using the WD Black2 Drive.

III. On Paper Specification
On the specification side, I decided to put specifications relevant to the common user. You can check out the full specification here.

Specifications
  • 120 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) + 1 TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch
  • Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s

Performance (SSD)
  • Interface Speed: 6 Gb/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (read MAX): 350 MB/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (write, MAX): 140 MB/s

Physical Dimensions
  • Height: 0.374 inches (9.5 mm)
  • Depth: 3.95 Inches (100.3 mm)
  • Width: 2.75 Inches (69.85 mm)
  • Weight: 0.28 Pounds (0.125 kg)

Acoustics
  • Idle Mode: 20 dBA (average)
  • Seek Mode 0: 21 dBA (average)

IV. Initial Impression
Out of the box, the WD Black2 is a premium item. It is elegant and classy but also a performer.

On paper, this drive is exactly as marketed. It is good for the creative pro and his on the go lifestyle. Its 2.5-inch form factor makes it a good laptop drive where the creative can put his core applications on the solid state drive(SSD), and all his media works on the hard disk drive(HDD). It is also good for gamers who want to have their games on the SSD to reduce load times and improve gaming performance without sacrificing storage space.

Being both their target market, creative and gamer, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far. I'm looking forward to installing it to my rig and actually using it. Can't wait to see how this premium drive performs.

Stay tuned for more updates on the drive! :) You can follow my review as it is completed here: Tim Co's WD Black2 Review.