View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #50
timlyco

Cool Tim Co | WD Black2 User Trials

Good day everyone! I'm Timothy Co (timlyco). I'm a multimedia arts graduate of De La Salle - College of St. Benilde, creative director at www.reeco.com.ph.

I've been a gamer since I was a kid. Gaming has been a big part of my life. It is what pushed me to pursue my degree. One of the first games I remember playing was Battle Chess and Prince of Persia on a 486 PC. Those were the days when the big floppy disks were still a thing, PC's required ID cards to gain access and the internet wasn't even invented. Nowadays, PC games have become a lot more complex and demand a great deal on your PC. If you want to keep playing games, you have to keep updating your hardware.

I'm privileged to be part of the WD Black2 User Trials. Many thanks to HardwareZone Philippines and Western Digital Philippines for this honor.

I. Packaging
I currently own a WD Caviar Black hard disk drive. When I purchased it, it only came in an anti static plastic. This is how internal hard drives are usually packaged.

With the WD Black2,it is obvious that Western Digital wants to give you a product with a premium feel. A sleek black box with an F1 race car design and gold accents is what greets the user.

The black and gold color scheme of the box displays class and elegance. The F1 race car design obviously represents one thing, SPEED.

II. Unboxing

Sliding a second box out reveals the full F1 race car design. Opening the lid, you will find:
  • WD Black2 USB Key
  • WD Black2 Manual Quick Install Guide
  • WD Black2 Warranty Guide
  • WD Black2 Drive
  • USB to Sata Adapter

What intrigued me was the USB Key, the design really gives you a feeling that you are about to experience something great. That exciting feeling of driving a car for a first time or maybe riding a very thrilling roller coaster. This got me even more excited to start using the WD Black2 Drive.

III. On Paper Specification
On the specification side, I decided to put specifications relevant to the common user. You can check out the full specification here.

Specifications
  • 120 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) + 1 TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch
  • Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s

Performance (SSD)
  • Interface Speed: 6 Gb/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (read MAX): 350 MB/s
  • Internal Transfer Rate (write, MAX): 140 MB/s

Physical Dimensions
  • Height: 0.374 inches (9.5 mm)
  • Depth: 3.95 Inches (100.3 mm)
  • Width: 2.75 Inches (69.85 mm)
  • Weight: 0.28 Pounds (0.125 kg)

Acoustics
  • Idle Mode: 20 dBA (average)
  • Seek Mode 0: 21 dBA (average)

IV. Initial Impression
Out of the box, the WD Black2 is a premium item. It is elegant and classy but also a performer.

On paper, this drive is exactly as marketed. It is good for the creative pro and his on the go lifestyle. Its 2.5-inch form factor makes it a good laptop drive where the creative can put his core applications on the solid state drive(SSD), and all his media works on the hard disk drive(HDD). It is also good for gamers who want to have their games on the SSD to reduce load times and improve gaming performance without sacrificing storage space.

Being both their target market, creative and gamer, I'm impressed with what I have seen so far. I'm looking forward to installing it to my rig and actually using it. Can't wait to see how this premium drive performs.

Stay tuned for more updates on the drive! You can follow my review as it is completed here: Tim Co's WD Black2 Review.
timlyco is offline   Reply With Quote